We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vermilion, Ohio
reviews: 8
Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Warning for those thinking of visiting Cleveland and spending their vacation, car rental, or shopping dollars. Many mobile robot speed trap cameras have recently sprung up in Cleveland. The website says that the fine is either $100 or $200 based on your speed. They seem to be placed in locations that have unreasonably low speed limits for the conditions. For instance, a section of Saint Clair that is mostly old warehouses, but is between downtown and the Chinese restruants. The speed limit is technically 25mph, but there is no reason for it to be so low. In reality there is no safety related reason to drive slower than 40, but the city and the contractor get $100 a pop. If deciding between Cleveland or another city, I recommend taking this into account.

17 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
1. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Vermilion, thanks. I frequently drive down St. Clair.

My take is to drive 25 mph on all Cleveland streets because my memory is that speed signs are not frequently posted. Time-wise, it's not that big of deal given the compactness of downtown, and the nearness of interstate entrances and exits. The problem is mentally remembering to keep the speed at 25 mph or below, especially when there often isn't much traffic on the streets when I use them.

Driving 25 mph is more a problem on Chester and Carnegie between downtown and University Circle. I wonder about the speed limits on those avenues.

Edited: 6:06 pm, November 02, 2013
Fort Collins...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

No one in their right mind would base their vacation destinations based on red light cameras and "robot speed traps". Especially when you are in a unfamiliar city, follow the posted speed limits and you will be fine.

"Think twice about visiting cleveland because if you don't obey the speed limit, you could get a ticket"

Sounds reasonable to me, are you from Pittsburgh by chance?

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
3. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Iheartcle, good post!

Louisville, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
reviews: 127
4. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

I was under the impression this was not allowed in Ohio. I remember reading several news articles debating the legality of "speed trap cameras" in the past couple years.

I found this article from a google search with the same idea:

americancityandcounty.com/law-enforcement/oh…

Vermilion,

Did you fall victim of a "speed trap camera"? If so, perhaps finding a good layer is a good idea.

Do you have inside knowledge of such devices being implemented in Cleveland? If so, what is your connection to these devices, also please provide background as to the decision process.

Several Cleveland streets bounce speed limits up and down - 35mph for a block or two, then 25mph for a block or two, then back to 35mph, ... Two of my friends have gotten tickets for doing ~35mph in short sections of 25mph limits... I do not agree with limiting the speed in such a way, but be aware it happens in Cleveland. As TranscendentalEye stated, 25mph is a safe idea, especially if one is in doubt.

Do not let this be a determining factor to visit Cleveland. Regardless the method of cameras or actual cops, speed traps are used in all cities.

Later,

Mike

Vermilion, Ohio
5. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Thank you Mike E. for the link to the American City County article. I thought it was illegal also. No, I did not get a ticket, I live about an hour from Cleveland. My son did however. He lives in Cleveland, and works two part time jobs at $8.50 an hour. So he is going to have to work 12+ hours with taxes just to pay this off. According to multiple Cleveland news sources they are writing 4600 tickets a week with the cameras. ($460,000 a week if only $100 tickets)

19actionnews.com/story/23771382/editorial-sp…

The reason I posted it here is because Trip Advisor has always been a good source of travel warnings. For example; What areas to avoid pickpockets, what part of town to avoid the dishonest touts, which bars and cafés do you have to make sure you know what the price of the drink is first, dishonest border crossings guards, health warnings, etc. Just because it is electronic doesn't mean it isn't a scam. Welcome to the 21st century version of the old mordida.

Louisville, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
reviews: 127
6. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Thank you for that link Vermilion! It's too bad they are doing this in Cleveland. Funny the safety director was ticketed...lol

It is definitely a good thing to know that they are doing the camera speed traps in Cleveland. Just my opinion that it is not a reason to not visit Cleveland... perhaps to others, it is a reason to not visit Cleveland.

Goodluck to your son if he chooses to fight the ticket.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
7. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

They have them in Columbus as well, from what I've read.

What's also sad about this is that a lot of the money goes to a private company.

Reportedly, the Ohio legislature is considering outlawing the speed cameras.

Edited: 7:11 pm, November 03, 2013
Brooklyn, Ohio
reviews: 10
8. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Here's an interesting story I saw the other day on the accuracy of these portable cameras. Of course the police/city and the maker of the cameras say they are accurate but math doesn't lie...

wkyc.com/story/…

Vermilion, Ohio
9. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Thanks for the link. How sad that the citizen in Maryland had to spend so much time on this issue in order to prove the cameras were flawed. Of course with 60 tickets, it would have cost him a fortune if he didn't. The time stamp on the cleveland tickets don't have seconds on them, so unfortunately you can't do the math on them yourself. You get two pictures with the same date/minute on the bottom, then a close up of just the license plate. They thought of everything. We got some advice about requesting that they show us when the machine was last calibrated, but how much money do you lose in lost wages while stumbling through the legal system. They know most people can't afford to fight it.

The funny thing about this is that it is a family joke about how slow my son drives.

I still really like Cleveland. It has a great history. Since my son moved downtown we have tried a lot of the restruants, and have noticed how some of the neighborhoods are trying to get it back together. We want Cleveland to succeed. However I think the city leaders are going to cause long term harm by grabbing the short term easy cash.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 504
10. Re: Warning robot speed trap cameras.

Seems like a money grab for sure....it's good to have the knowledge about the traps....

Reply to: Warning robot speed trap cameras.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted