We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

I'll be attending a convention at the Cleveland Convention Center for a week in July 2014. The association putting on the convention listed 2 hotels on its site (both downtown) - the Marriott & the Renaissance. Unfortunately, they are both way out of my price range ($245 per night). The association may eventually negotiate a group discount with these hotels but apparently hasn't yet. I don't mind staying outside of downtown in a suburb or whatever - if the downtown is accessible by RTA . I'm retired from the military so I am fortunate to get a discount at a number of hotel chains. However, neither the Marriott or Renaissance offers a military discount. If anyone who is familiar with the Cleveland area has any suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
1. Re: Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

Are you going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum? Likely a majority of Cleveland hotels offer special Rock Hall packages, such as free parking.

If you want to use RTA to reach downtown, check out the LaQuinta Airport North. It's a relatively budget hotel across the street from the West 150th St./Puritas Red Line rail rapid station. It would take you downtown. RTA day passes are $5.

The Marriott Airport Hotel on West 150th St. reportedly shuttles guests for free to the same rapid station.

The Red Line terminates at the airport with a station right next to luggage pick-up. So you could stay at any of the airport hotels and have them shuttle you to and from the airport rapid station. The Hilton Garden Inn Airport and the Sheraton likely are the closest airport hotels to the airport.

You might get a lower rate downtown using Priceline or Hotwire. Search for at least four star hotels. Cleveland downtown has free bus trolleys making it convenient to get to the convention center.

More reasonably priced hotels downtown might include the Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt, Radisson, Hilton Garden Inn, Wyndham, and the Doubletree Lakeside. The latter three reportedly offer free shuttle service downtown. All will charge for parking unless perhaps you have a Rock Hall package.

The Cleveland Westin downtown will open next spring in the old Crowne Plaza property. It's very close to the convention center. Perhaps you'll get a deal there if you book before the opening once the hotel begins to accept individual reservations.

starwoodhotels.com/westin/…

Also consider the Hampton Inn Airport on Tiedeman Road in Brooklyn. It's a convenient hotel to downtown and has free parking, breakfasts, and internet and several restaurants within walking distance. You could take the shuttle to the airport, or drive about ten minutes downtown.

If interested in a more budget hotel, at the expense of a longer and perhaps slower commute downtown, check out the Red Roof Inn in Independence.

Currently there are parking lots about a block from the convention center that charge $10 or less for all-day parking, such as the large surface lots just west of Public Square. Consider driving downtown if you desire more convenience and to save time.

This article may help you out. Check out public transportation at the end of the article.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

Good luck with your room search!

Pittsburgh...
2. Re: Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

TE - thanks for your very helpful post. Literally packed with options to consider. Looking forward to exploring Cleveland. eeb3

Brooklyn, Ohio
reviews: 179
3. Re: Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

There is also the Cleveland Hostel on W25th street right by the w25th street RTA station - that goes for $75 a night for a private room (queen bed) with ensuite bathroom or $65 for private room with a shared bathroom.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
4. Re: Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

If you're driving to Cleveland, check reviews of the Cleveland Hostel. At least one review reported car break-ins in the hostel's surface lot. Otherwise, the hostel has an excellent location and receives good reviews. It serves visitors of all ages, is located in the vibrant market district, and is close to an RTA Red Line station.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g50207-d3460433…

One other caution: construction of a large development across the street may start there by next summer, creating a noise problem.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 66
5. Re: Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

There is a new A Loft Hotel in the Flats and there is an RTA train that runs by it. Rates are likely 120 to 150 plus tax if that is in your budget. Parking cost may be a little high but I would check it out. Call the hotel first to check if there is a train stop in front of the hotel. The train can take you to the terminal in 5 minutes and it is an easy walk to the convention center from there. Have fun!

Akron, Ohio
reviews: 64
6. Re: Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

Cleveland is so much fun!!! I always stay at the residence inn downtown--it's an old renovated building and is so great! Check it out before you choose anywhere else!

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 60
7. Re: Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

Not sure what July rates are in Cleveland, but my wife and I got a reasonable rate at the Double Tree on Lakeside Ave. There's also a Hampton Inn that seems to go over well.

8. Re: Affordable Hotel Accessible to Downtown Cleveland via RTA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 19, 2014