We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking out Case Western

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 13
Checking out Case Western

My son and I will be traveling to Cleveland to check out Case Western. I am unfamiliar with area. Can anyone offer me suggestions for lodging/dining in close proximity to the university?

4 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
1. Re: Checking out Case Western

Glidden House and the Courtyard Cleveland University Circle are most centrally located.

The Doubltree Tudor Arms is more isolated, but reportedly offers free shuttle service.

Cleveland Clinic lodging, such as the Intercontinental, is another possibility.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g50207-Cleveland_Ohio…

University Circle is connected to downtown by the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid. It uses a dedicated line on Euclid Ave., so downtown hotels on Euclid Ave. are another option if you want to check out downtown Cleveland, perhaps catch a sporting event at downtown's conveniently located sports venues, catch an event at PlayhouseSquare or visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. RTA day passes are $5, but downtown also has free bus trolleys.

Euclid Ave. hotels include the Wyndham at PlayhouseSquare, the Holiday Inn Express and the Hyatt.

Little Italy restaurants are a 10- to 15-minute walk up Mayfield Road hill from University Circle. Well-rated restaurants by TA reviewers there include Presti's, Washington Place, Mia Bella, Etna, Michaelangelo's and several others. Presti's and the popular Trattoria are reasonably priced. Many enjoy Mama Santa's pizza.

L'Albatros, a short walk from both the Glidden and Courtyard, is the top-rated restaurant in Cleveland by TA Reviewers.

tripadvisor.com/…EATERY_OVERVIEW_BOX

The Cleveland Museum of Art has the Provenance Restaurant and the Provenance Cafe, both very good. There is no admission charge to the CMA.

Falafel Cafe Middle Eastern is on Euclid Ave. very near both the Glidden House and the Courtyard.

universitycircle.org/locations/…dining

Case Western is located in the heart of one of the nation's cultural centers. I'm unaware of any other university within walking distance of such great institutions. The Cleveland Museum of Art offers many educational programs. The Cleveland Orchestra is one of the best in the world. The Cleveland Institute of Music and the Cleveland Institute of Art offer many free or very economical programs and exhibits. Between the CIA's and CMA's separate film programs, Case Western students are blessed. The CMA also emphasizes the performing arts.

In short, a committed Case Western student could obtain a superb liberal arts education on the cheap.

Additionally, PlayhouseSquare is one of the nation's best theater districts and offers both "Smart Seats" and student discounts.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-c198218/Clevel…

Enjoy your visit to Ohio's North Coast!

Brooklyn, Ohio
reviews: 10
2. Re: Checking out Case Western

I hope your son likes CWRU and plans to attend. I received my undergraduate degree and JD from CWRU, and for the most part, loved every minute of it. Except for maybe all the studying and student loans :-)

As TranscendentalEye has stated, the campus is within walking distance to some amazing amenities. Hopefully you'll have some time to visit some of those institutions in addition to visiting the campus.

Here is a link to the university's website with lodging recommendations...

case.edu/finadmin/…Hotels

As already mentioned, Little Italy is a great place to get some food. I lived in Little Italy during law school and lived on Mama Santa's pizza and pasta. A stop at Presti's Bakery for dessert was also a must.

Another option for food is to check with the university to see if you can eat at one of the university's dining halls. That way your son can also check out the quality of food. In my time at CWRU (mid 1990's), we never complained about the quality or quantity of choices of food. I'm sure that probably still holds true.

If you have any specific questions about the university, I'd be happy to answer them. Just post them here or PM me.

Enjoy your visit!

Tom

Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
reviews: 9
3. Re: Checking out Case Western

Also check out the brand new Courtyard Cleveland University Circle (marriott.com/hotels/…) very close to the campus or the 2 Intercontinental hotels on the Cleveland Clinic campus, a short ride on the Health Line bus rapid transit line to CWRU (http://goo.gl/maps/3hYNq)

Edited: 7:24 am, July 23, 2013
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 23
4. Re: Checking out Case Western

Downtown is 15-20 minutes from University Circle on the Healthline depending upon stations involved. The Cornell Road station is closest to the Courtyard and Glidden House.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HealthLine

Reply to: Checking out Case Western
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted