We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant near Playhouse Square

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 19
Restaurant near Playhouse Square

I'm taking my mom to the theater at Playhouse Square this Sat. 5/12 for a matinee. I'd love any restaurant suggestions close for a late lunch / early dinner afterwards.

Bay Village, Ohio
reviews: 101
1. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

YoungDubFan

If you want to walk, Bricco's right across the street from the Playhouse Square Theaters, is your best bet. If you want to drive a bit and know what type of food are you looking for I can give you more choices.

. http://g.co/maps/p4ucf

www.briccodowntown.com/cleveland

Brooklyn, Ohio
reviews: 184
2. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

I really like the Wyndham's restaurant. It's right across the street.

Or a short walk down Euclid (opposite side of road from Playhouse) is the new Hodges.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
reviews: 25
3. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

Cowell & Hubbard is the new and well received Zach Bruell restaurant on Euclid Ave. right next to Playhouse Square and across the street from the Wyndham. Be certain to check the TA reviews.

If your mom likes Chinese, especially dim sum or tofu dishes, you also could drive to Li Wah, which has free parking and is located on Payne Ave. just east of the Innerbelt in the Asia Plaza. It's maybe five minutes from Playhouse Square.

If you live west or southwest of downtown and like Italian, check out Bruno's Ristorante, just south of I-90 on West 41st, not far from I-71. It's on the 2012 Plain Dealer "A-list" of Greater Cleveland's 100 best restaurants. It has free parking (often with a security guard at night), but it is in a marginal neighborhood. Its prices are very reasonable compared with downtown restaurants and it ranks as one of Cleveland's very best Italian restaurants.

I believe Chinato offers, or at least used to, a free shuttle to East 4th St. from Playhouse Square for its diners.

Reservations are advisable for all of these restaurants, except perhaps Li Wah, and menus are available online.

You also could take the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid (with subway-like, articulated cars) from the station right in front of Playhouse Square to East 4th St. All-day RTA passes are $5.00 and $2.50 for seniors age 65 or greater (senior fare users must carry a Medicare card and official photo ID); you can buy day passes online.

http://www.east4thstreet.com/dining

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g50207-s303/Cleveland…

If you are coming up I-71, you could park for free at the W. 150th/Puritas rail rapid station, just north of the W. 150th/I-71 interchange. With RTA day passes, you could take the rail rapid to Tower City, then walk to Public Square to catch the Healthline to Playhouse Square. If you do this, you could conveniently dine at all of the East 4th St. restaurants with no parking hassle (e.g., Chinato, Lola Bistro, Greenhouse Tavern, etc.), or get off at W. 25 St. and dine at Crop Bistro, Flying Fig, or even Great Lakes Brewing, all short walks from the W. 25th St. station.

Two tips: the West Side Market is open Saturday and you might enjoy visiting and getting a snack there before attending your play. You could drive there. There are free parking lots, but it could be very crowded on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The market is just across Lorain Avenue from the West 25th St. rail station.

Also, on weekend afternoons, the Terminal Tower observation deck is open. It's located in Tower City, also conveniently the location of the main downtown RTA terminal. If interested, consider buying tickets in advance. For several decades, the Terminal Tower was the tallest building in North America outside New York City.

www.eventbrite.com/event/3415324327/eorg

Have a great time in Cleveland!

Edited: 8:27 pm, May 08, 2012
Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
4. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

I think the Healthline station for East 4th St. is East 6th St, but it's less than a normal city block to East 4th St.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Cleveland
5. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

Momocho, a TA favorite also is on the near west side, near the West Side Market, but not walkable IMO. It has a small, free parking lot. Street parking typically is available.

Here's the Plain Dealer A-List for 2012:

cleveland.com/top-restaurants/index.ssf/2012…

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 21
6. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

Bricco is right across the street and its amazing - my favorite cleveland resturaunt

N.E. Ohio, usa
reviews: 29
7. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

Bricco is right there- a solid choice.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
reviews: 6
8. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

Another recommendation for Cowell & Hubbard.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 1
9. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

If timing is an issue, we use the Star restaurant, which is smack in the middle of the theaters:

http://www.staratplayhousesquare.com/

I'm not a foodie, but our meals have always been good, and the best point is their stock in trade is catering to the theater customer, and if you need to make a curtain time, they're wonderfully equipped to do their best for you. Obviously you can't expect a meal in 10 minutes, but we had a party of 8 last summer for "Jersey Boys' and when we told them, we were in and out in about 50 minutes. (Didn't feel rushed, either, just no time wasted waiting for a server, the next course, etc)

Ohio
reviews: 19
10. Re: Restaurant near Playhouse Square

Thanks for all the suggestions. We ate at Bricco and had a wonderful meal. We were able to get right in after the performance and did not need a reservation. My mom liked it because she had memories from growing up eating in a restaurant in the same location, possibly called Bucares.

Get answers to your questions about Cleveland