We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to eat before the play

Which Cleveland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Canton, Ohio
reviews: 295
where to eat before the play

Our family just obtained seaon passes to Playhouse Square and want to do dinner before the shows. Sammy's is out of our league and these other places they list (Aceppella, Hanna Restaurant, Otto Moser's)look iffy. Any sugestions?

cleveland
reviews: 36
1. Re: where to eat before the play

Hi,

I don't know Sammy's...but those other restaurants are iffy. I'd say, basically, yuk, especially considering how good so many other places are.

Could you offer more of a guideline on what you want to pay? Downtown has become increasing expensive as the quality of food has escalated. Nearer to Playhouse, I'd consider the triange of Vivo, Pickwick and Frolick and House of Blues. Each has a website with menu items, etc. If this is too pricey, I'd suggest something on the fringes of downtown ethnic...maybe Empress Taytu (ethiopian...great new experience...some meals are communal...served with crepe-sort of things you use for dipping everything from meat or bean dishes to salad) or Siam Cafe which has large fish tanks guaranteeing some of the freshest fish you'll find (paradise shrimp is also good). Then there's always bar food--Winking Lizard, etc. Murray Hill isn't far (10 minutes) and there are some affordable options there, too.

I see you're coming from North Canton. Will you be coming up I-77? Montrose is worth a stop...the Mustard Seed Market has a great restaurant and it's right off the freeway. Every chain known to mankind is there, too. And, of course, some good options downtown Akron (affordable Jacob Good comes to mind).

North Canton, Ohio
reviews: 295
2. Re: where to eat before the play

Sorry I was a little vague. We do know of many great spots to stop on the way up.

(Luigi's, Whitey's) The price range of House of Blues and The Lizard are fine. I was looking for something in the theatre area. Like all those cool little places around the Jake and Q. Fat Fish Blues is our favorite.

cleveland
3. Re: where to eat before the play

Maybe someone has found a gem near theater district, but I haven't. It puzzles me, too. You'd think that customer base would demand quality, but I haven't found it. The House of Blues area is within walking distance. I'd head there (I know the snow can make it a hassle). Truly, Vivo is dark and lovely with a menu for everyone. Because it's separated by courses, you can eat relatively cheaply, too. Who wants four courses before a show? I'd sleep through intermission ; )

Pickwick and Frolick's menu, I think, is very reasonable, too. Some nice options...

Cleveland Heights...
reviews: 60
4. Re: where to eat before the play

One of the obvious choices is a place called Stars, inside the Playhouse Square complex. The food was good and I'd say mid-level pricing. The convenience of dining just a few steps away is a big plus. The last time I was there we sat next to the piano that sits in the middle of the room, and I kid you not - our table of 6 could barely hear each other! We ended up in a sort of "conversational shouting" that was wierd.

If you go there, get a table on either end of the room.

Otto Moser's is a casual place, standard fare, but also connected to the Playhouse Square theaters, so it's convenient. Basic, "meat & potatoes" food, comfortable seating.

We tried to get into Acapella once, without reservations on a show night, and could not get a table. If you go there (with res.)be prepared to sit in a tight environment, very close tables.

cleveland
5. Re: where to eat before the play

Stars, if I understand correctly, is wait-staffed by aspiring stars. They break into song loudly and quite often. They take the stage unexpectedly. I suppose it's an interesting concept, but not enjoyable for everyone. Agree with previous poster that this place is loud.

Get answers to your questions about Cleveland