We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 6
Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

We are lucky enough to live within a 2hr. drive to Amish country and travel there quite frequently--at least once a month. We also spend a couple of nights there at least 4 or 5 times a year. Over the last 3 years we have tried the Farmstead Restr. 4 or 5 different times hoping it will improve, but it hasn't. I can't understand how an Amish style restaurant in this area can have such lackluster, poorly presented food. The first time we went shortly after it opened 3 years ago, the lettuce on the salad bar was brown, like it had perhaps been frozen. When my cousin mentioned this to the manager he said,'That's the way it's supposed to be." We're in our 50's--did he think we'd never seen lettuce before?? We tried again a year or so later and it wasn't much better. Our most recent trip was on Wednesday, and since we were staying at the Comfort Suites right across the street and it was stormy, we decided to give it another chance. They had a buffet, and absolutely nothing had a good flavor. Most of it looked unappetizing, and while nothing tasted awful, nothing tasted good either. There was almost no one there besides our party of 8, and on a summer day in Amish country any restaurant that can't draw a crowd should know that they have a problem. We stayed at Comfort Suites for 3 nights, and at no time did we see more than 4 cars in the parking lot whether it was breakfast, lunch or dinner time. All of the other restaurants in the area have lines and full parking lots at mealtimes. It is such a nice, new big building, and I just can't understand why management doesn't do something to make this restaurant successful. We'll certainly never be back. There are too many good quality restaurants in the same price range in this area.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 11
11. Re: Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

I have eaten at the Farmstead several times when visiting the amish country. I have always enjoyed the food (yummy) and the place was always full.

Jeromesville, Ohio
reviews: 5
12. Re: Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

We're in the area 2 or 3 weekends each month because my mother has a house at Lake Buckhorn. We generally go up near Berlin to shop on Saturdays. I probably eat at the Farmstead about once a month. I disagree with the original poster. The food is not spectacular, but it's not bad either. I never get the buffet just because I don't like eating buffet food. I normally get a sandwich or a salad, but I have never been disappointed with the food. I always choose the Farmstead over the other Amish-style restaurants in the area.

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 11
13. Re: Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

Just want to give an update. We just went to the restaurant last weekend and it looked like they updated the menu, and gave the place a little "face lift". I too never get the buffet, but always order the meatloaf sandwich, Yummy!

14. Re: Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:18 pm, June 09, 2009
Crystal River, FL
15. Re: Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

I certainly agree!!!! Was there for the first time in June of this year and it was terrible! Certainly not the traditional Amish presentation, but then it wouldn't be open on Sunday, if it was true Amish!

Visit Mrs. Yoder's Kitchen in Mt. Hope if you want the very best fried chicken!!!! Everything there is the utmost!!!!

Ohio
reviews: 8
16. Re: Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

I have no idea where the above review came from. My husband and I just ate ate this fine restaurant this week, and it was wonderful! We had broasted chicken -the coating was nice and crispy, and the meat moist and tender. My husband had the noodles which were delicious. The salad bar was all very fresh, crisp, and nicely chilled. The raspberry cream was divine! My only disappointment was the mashed potatoes seemed instant - but the gravy was very good! (and it was chicken gravy!) The service was quick and friendly, and the restaurant and bathrooms were spotless. We spent double at another restaurant in the area and were deepy disappointed. We were not disappointed here, and will definately return in the future!

17. Re: Avoid the Farmstead Restaurant!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Berlin