We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colchester, VT
reviews: 37
Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

I'm considering the Catalonia Royal as one of my top three choices for my boyfriend and I's vacation next April. It sound so relaxing and the beach seems lovely! I just have a few questions that I cannot find much information on while searching these forums. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I am also considering Catalonia Maroma or Sandos Playacar. Food, beach, and relaxation with some fun nightlife to mix in are important to us, along with room quality.

What time does the pool close? I read a review that it closes at 6 every night but that just seems a little odd. I love taking late night swims before bed so I really hope it's open late!

How is the beach for walking? I would like to explore the beach, not looking to walk crazy far but is it at least a mile each way?

How much is a cab from the resort to downtown Playa Carmen? I also read a review about an included trip to Coco Bongo (a must see I've heard) with transportation, is this true?? It was a very recent review from July.

Do all the room balconies have hammocks or is it just the upgraded deluxe?

I read somewhere about fish fry's on the beach, or bbq's beach side some nights, is this true or is that only at the Catalonia Maroma?

One thing I love about the Maroma is the crepe restaurant! I looooove crepes, are there any served anywhere at the CRT?? lol

What is the difference in cab fare from the airport for the CRT and the CPM?

And is it easy to book excursions here or should I use local vedors for that?

I'm wondering if its cheaper to rent a car then pay cab fares, since we would like to go into PLayacar for nightlife and try some local restaurants there or in Tulum/Akumal, I heard there was once free shuttle to Playa but it must still be gone right?

Any preferences on the resorts I mentioned to CRT? I am leaning for this one but there are little things each other has that this one doesnt, like more nightlife, the crepes at CPM or the Jacuzzi rooms at Sandos with close proximity to everything (and more chances to see monkeys I heard),

26 replies to this topic
Sunny Florida
reviews: 2
11. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

Swimming at midnight ? Pool or ocean ? Definitely not in the ocean as that is prime 'feeding time' for some of the larger creatures. They will be able to see you, but you may not see them ! Pool -- there are regular security patrols of the beach and pool area. Most likely, the security guards will shoo you out of the pool after hours -- except on pool party nights when sometimes there are actual pool activities in the water (emphasis on "sometimes")

Food ? That is always a highly opinionated subject. We think the food ranges from good to excellent. Not gourmet (except for a couple of items that we really love) . Some will agree and others won't. We've never gone hungry and never lost weight staying at CRT. If you have particular food requirements, or restrictions, tell the chef and they will do their best to make you happy.

Colchester, VT
12. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

Thanks again for the replies! We just booked our trip to CRT for next May! We got an awesome deal through Expedia including airfare. Next May cannot come soon enough :)

Danbury, Connecticut
13. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

aprilmae, what are your dates in May. We usually go in May also.

Polloman

Colchester, VT
14. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

May 4-11th! How is May at the CRT? I heard the weather that time of the year is perfect. Does it get pretty crowded in May?

Danbury, Connecticut
15. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

Aprilmae.... Weather last May was windy. Lots of waves. We have gone other times in May and it has been Flat Calm. Weather is hot in May and the resort can be crowded at times. There are always enough beach chairs and I never felt we were packed in like sardines. Hope to see you in May. We haven't picked our dates yet, we still have a trip in Oct. to get thru.

Polloman

Colchester, VT
16. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

Yes maybe we will see you there! I hope it is a mix of calm and wavy days but no matter what it will be an amazing trip! Thanks again for the help!

Port Charlotte...
reviews: 13
17. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

May is a perfect month! It's after spring Break so you'll miss a lot of crowds. It's also before the summer months so it may be 'warm' but not as hot as it's going to be in July or August! You'll also miss the summer storms. Kudo's on your pick. You'll love the CRT.

New Orleans
18. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

What is the email for the concierge?

San Francisco Bay...
Destination Expert
for Xpu-Ha
19. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

royaltulum.rrpp@hoteles-catalonia.es

Her name is Laura or Fernando is her assistant

Carolyn

Providence, Rhode...
reviews: 14
20. Re: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum

Carolyn, How far is the CRT from the Punta Cana airport, how long is the shuttle drive to get to the CRT from the airport ? Thanks in advance. Best Wishes, Leo & Sue

Reply to: Questions about Catalonia Royal Tulum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted