We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Xpu-Ha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ays08
reviews: 9
Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

Hi all,

Right now we are booked for 10 days in July at the Barcelo Palace. We have a few reasons we are considering changing, but the main one is that originally we were going to take the kids with us, and now we're leaving them at home with grandma so we can get some adult time in! (Best. Decision. Ever!)

So, I wanted to know what you thought about the barcelo vs the CRT. We like that the CRT is adults only, but were also looking forward to the excellent snorkeling at the barcelo... Does the CRT have anything close offshore?

I also wish the CRT had a swim up bar, which the barcelo does. But from what I've read, CRT provides beach/pool drink service? That's a perk.

Anyways, if anyone could break down the differences in these two resorts for me, and/or recommend a third, simlarly-priced option that maybe I haven't thought of, that would be awesome. And also, I've read that there's a CRT tip sheet going around? Could I maybe get that emailed to me by someone?

Ayslinnichelle at gmail dot com is my addy. :) thanks in advance.

Normal, Illinois
reviews: 15
11. Re: Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

Have never stayed at a Barcelo property (and never a desire to after the killing of a couple of vacationers - I thought it happened at the Barcelo - so if im wrong please forgive me). Regarding CRT and VIM. We have been to CRT 3 times - but my husband does not care

@@@@ last CRT visit may 2012 not 2011@@

to return (were there May 2011 - it seemed on the last trip it had deteriorated -pool tiles missing, broken, etc (I am a diabetic. I am never without flip flops except when in Ocean or Pool.). Last trip I was concerned about broken, damaged tiles IN the pool).

!!!!!! LAST CRT ViSIT May 2012 , not may 2011)

In November 2011 we went VIM. Although nice - never thought we'd return but after last CRT visit - would return a heartbeat. That being said - we are staying at Ocean Maya Royale - recently converted to Adults only - they get very nice reviews. The beach isn't the greatest -but an ok trade off as we usually hang at the pool (we are people watchers). We go to OMR on May 4. We only go adults only -had a bad experience at a Cabo resort (actually San Jose del Cabo). We refuse to be around yelling and screaming little rug rats. Let us know where you end up!!!

Edited: 11:36 pm, April 22, 2013
Ays08
reviews: 9
12. Re: Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

Thanks everyone! We decided to "upgrade" a bit and we're booked in at the valentin now. Thank you for all your help!

Sunny Florida
reviews: 2
13. Re: Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

djckmc66 -- FYI, when we were at CRT in October they were doing a lot of tile replacement and re-grouting, repairs all over the pool. And, they were replacing all of the plastic grating around the "fountain" in the middle of the pool. We'll be back in 2 weeks and check it out. Cutting your foot in a pool would not be a happy thing, for sure !

Normal, Illinois
14. Re: Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

AnotherBob,

Please do update me!! When are you heading back? We're going on May 4 th!

Danbury, Connecticut
reviews: 2
15. Re: Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

djc.....Bob and about 16 other people are going down from about May 8th till the 22nd.

We will probably do some daily updates while there.

Polloman

Normal, Illinois
16. Re: Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

Pollo - hope you guys do send updates. CRT is the only place we've stayed at multiples (with exception of Golden Parnassuss - have a fond place in my heart for that place. We went there alone and then with my mom and her hubby - they loved it there - she had a nice relationship with several and emailed back and forth often). Anyway - back to CRT. Please share improvements. I love much of that place - low key - casual dining. (our first trip - we saw a man constantly in a thong -he did on occasion were shorts (that were white - w pin sized holes that looked like exotic attire purchased at Fredericks!). One evening he was feeling quite "good". , he just hand in a flesh colored thong - he looked nude! They picked him up in a cart and delivered him to his room!! We've had several "funny" moments - why we loved. Excited to hear a great report!! Love the easy access to the collectivo - so convenient!! Have fun!!!!.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 79
17. Re: Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

Valentin and CRT both superior to Barcelo as we have stayed at all.

Found food at VIM excellent: beach and Caribbean swimming at CRT much better.

Enjoy the remainder of your holiday!

18. Re: Considering changing from Barcelo to CRT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 26, 2014