We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling CRT

Which Xpuha hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Devon
reviews: 11
Snorkelling CRT

Hi there

Wondering if there are any good snorkelling areas from the CRT beach.? Will definitely take the trip to Akumel anyway and we know about Xel-ha, but would be great to know if there are good opportunities from the actual hotel beach.

Many thanks. Maz.

Menasha, Wisconsin
1. Re: Snorkelling CRT

You can snorkel right off the beach, we did as there is smaller boulders out about 100 yards or so the fish hang out there. If you bring some banana from breakfast in to the water and brake it in to small pieces, the angle fish will swarm you in a feeding frenzy and bump against you. They like bread too. We had so much fun snorkeling there, the water is amazing.

Danbury, Connecticut
reviews: 2
2. Re: Snorkelling CRT

You can walk down the beach and snorkel by the old resort and all the way back to the beach club. We did this last October and saw lots of stuff.

PLEASE DO NOT feed the fish. We were there in October of 2011 and a lady was bitten by a barracuda while feeding the fish. The lifeguard will blow his whistle and stop you also.

There are signs up around the resort to not feed any of the wild life.

Polloman

Sunny Florida
3. Re: Snorkelling CRT

With all due respect --- PLEASE

Do NOT feed the fish ! We saw the aftermath of that barracuda attack and it was not good. The woman was feeding the fish and the barracuda did some serious muscle damage to her leg. Hospital stay, surgery to patch her up, and then the rest of the stay in a wheelchair. A serious exposure to some nasty infections as well.

Lastly, whatever you feed the animals/fish is most likely NOT their normal diet and might actually harm them. Feeding the animals/fish bananas and bread is clearly a bad thing!

Menasha, Wisconsin
4. Re: Snorkelling CRT

Ok not a good idea to feed the fish. DONT FEED THE FISH

Devon
5. Re: Snorkelling CRT

Thank you for your replies!

It's good to know we can snorkel off the beach. We've just returned from The Red Sea where the snorkelling was of course amazing.

My husband is an ex-diver and we are both nature-lovers so wouldn't ever ever dream of feeding the fish (or any wildlife on land either) so hopefully all visitors will eventually

understand that to do so is a Really Bad Thing!! Thankyou - and well done MissKrisO for being gracious enough to stand corrected!

Kind regards, Maz.

Sunny Florida
6. Re: Snorkelling CRT

MissKrisO -- thank you ! It is a common problem and, until educated on the subject, many people think it is a good thing that they are doing by feeding the fish and other critters. In reality, it is very bad for the health of them and also can be very dangerous. So, again, thank you for understanding !

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
7. Re: Snorkelling CRT

for good to better snorkeling, best to goto Akumal (with turtles)

try my famous golf cart tour of Yal-Ku Lagoon, Half Moon Bay, then Akumal

Devon
8. Re: Snorkelling CRT

Hi Vancouversundog

As I said in my original post we plan to go to Akumal - but could you expand on the 'famous golf cart tour' please? Sounds intriguing; any further info on this would be great. Thanks!

Maz.

Menasha, Wisconsin
9. Re: Snorkelling CRT

I had read in post in 2010 about feeding the fish, and did. Thank god we didn't have any thing bad happen to us. Thank you all for informing me about the dangers of feeding the fish that swarm around you, and the barracuda bighting incident. Wont be doing that again.

K-W, Ontario
reviews: 69
10. Re: Snorkelling CRT

Does anyone know about the feasiblity of non-swimmers (a.k.a. me :-)) doing snorkelling at CRT or on the various excursions that are available?