We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In and Out of Chichen Itza

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Valladolid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 5
In and Out of Chichen Itza

My time in the Riviera Maya is limited to four days only. I would like to visit Chichen Itza even if for only a few hours. My plane arrives Cancun around 4:00 PM, so I'm thinking about driving this same day to Valladolid, spending a night, and continuing to Chichenitza the following morning. Is there any life or activity during the night in Valladolid? Should I spend a night in the towns closer to Chichenitza instead? I would like to quickly see the 7th wonder of the world and then be back on my way to the beaches along the Mexican Riviera.

Please advise.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
1. Re: In and Out of Chichen Itza

I would spend the night at Valladolid , as you mentioned. Many good hotel choices such as the Hotel Alux, for about 40 dollars--with all the amenities.

The towns near Chichen , such as Piste, are really junky towns.

As for the supposed 7 Wonders award, thats another story.

Atenas, Costa Rica
reviews: 1
2. Re: In and Out of Chichen Itza

Uh, Robert, isn't the Alux in Cancun? I think he meant the Hotel Zaci in Valladolid :)

What time of year are you going to be there? It's best to refrain from driving after dark, and right now it still gets dark pretty early. You might also consider taking a bus to Valladolid. Then it's easy to get to CI from there the next morning.

Cape Cod
3. Re: In and Out of Chichen Itza

If your flight arrives by 4 and is on time, you'll be on the road by 5 or so, provided you rent a car at the airport. I use National and have been satisfied with their service. A lot of people swear by EasyWay, but their facility is offsite.

If it was me, I would drive to Chichen Itza and stay at the Hacienda Chichen. If you're on a budget, then stay at the Delores Alba not far from Chichen Itza. Valladolid is okay, but who needs the complication driving into the town and finding your hotel, and then getting out of town in the morning to get to Chichen? If you stay at the Hacienda, you can get up in the morning, have a casual breakfast and then walk into the archaeological zone.

However, if you're looking for nightlife, neither the Hacienda Chichen nor the Delores Alba or even the neighboring town of Piste offer much if anything. Valladolid is a little livelier.

A couple of additional points to consider:

It sounds as if you have not been to the Yucatan Peninsula before. As IHX pointed out, there is a good chance you will be driving at night. I prefer driving around Chichen then Valladolid after dark, but I have no problem navigating either. However, I have many friends who swear that I'm crazy to drive after dark.

Take the Cuota or toll road to Chichen and back to the Maya Riviera. To get to the Cuota, drive out of the airport. You will see a sign that exits to the right with a sign that directs you to Tulum or Playa Del Carmen or even Chetumal. Take that exit. If you go onto an overpass and go over a highway you've gone too far. You will then be on the highway heading south. Look for an exit on the right to Merida (or possibly even Chichen Itza). That will dump you on the road to the Cuota.

Make sure your car has plenty of gasoline. There is only one station on the Cuota, and that is right before the Chichen Itza exit, more than two hours away.

Take the Cuota (180D) on the return trip. Be sure to follow the signs to the airport, which will put you closer to the hotel zone of Cancun if that's where you're staying. If you are staying in Tulum or points south you might want to think about taking the Libre or free road (180). In any case, buy a good map.

Have a great trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
4. Re: In and Out of Chichen Itza

Of course you are correct about the Alux, IHX. Its what I get for posting in the wee hours ha ha. I meant to say Hotel Zaci in Valladolid. Sorry.

Valladolid, Mexico
reviews: 10
5. Re: In and Out of Chichen Itza

Every Sunday evening there is a 14 piece latin band playing it the main town square in Valladolid for people to either just listen to or dance to....It usually starts at 8 PM

6. Re: In and Out of Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 17, 2011