We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickled Onion Restaurant - Owner Needs New Attitude

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Uxmal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Batavia, IL
reviews: 4
Pickled Onion Restaurant - Owner Needs New Attitude

Food is good, ambience pretty, but I won´t return. The owner is not accommodating to her guests. Diners at a table nearby asked to see the two dessert possibilities. The owner curtly described them again and told them to choose without agreeing to show them the desserts.

I was put off when, after ordering five beers and two dinners, I was refused a glass of water. They only wanted to sell the bottled water, but they served another gringa, a friend of hers, a glass of water. I asked again for a glass, but the owner would only let the waitress sell me the bottle. Even Taco Bell and Subway serve their customers a cup of water!

Mexico
1. Re: Pickled Onion Restaurant - Owner Needs New Attitude

I am sorry that you felt this way about the restaurant but felt compelled to respond in the best way possible. The restaurant as you know is located in a very out of the way place and to obtain supplies the cost to me is more than normal.Purified water being one of them.99% of travelers to Mexico have a dreaded fear of drinking water from a glass and for this reason I opted to sell only bottled water.All foods fruit ,veg etc are thoroughly cleaned using only purified bottled water as well as for cooking with. Unfortunetly I cannot compete with the big name restaurants in the United States as I am only a small business in Mexico and doing the best I can in” the middle of nowhere” as people have remarked.

My friend the gringa lives here and there is always a bottle of water in the fridge for her , on her instruction, to which she takes a glass from when visiting the restaurant to eat or just to chat.

Again in larger restaurants, desserts are sometimes on show in a special refrigerator for people to choose from but as mentioned before it’s a small concern that is being operated.But now that I have internet connection and a computer I have composed a dessert menu with photos of each and everyone of them being 5 in totoal.I hope you are able to accept these explanation and may your future travels go well.Valerie

Batavia, IL
reviews: 4
2. Re: Pickled Onion Restaurant - Owner Needs New Attitude

I just wanted to clarify that we eat at small comedors every day in rural Mexico for the past four months. We are not at the big chains, but they still offer un vaso de aqua from their big bottle - often with ice!

Please remember we were also ordering dinner and beers.

Thanks for your good wishes for a safe trip.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
reviews: 40
3. Re: Pickled Onion Restaurant - Owner Needs New Attitude

Val - you and your Onion don't need this kind of publicity! They want a glass of water, give 'em one. If they are asking for a glass of water, they know what they are asking for! Remember the Mexican saying: "Un vaso de agua no se le niegue a nadie". (rough translation: you don't deny anyone a simple glass of water)

Cheers! I want to get out there and try some of those pickled onions soon! :)

new hampshire
4. Re: Pickled Onion Restaurant - Owner Needs New Attitude

We had meals, snacks, drinks at the Onion in early March, and enjoyed the food, service, and the atmosphere.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 69
5. Re: Pickled Onion Restaurant - Owner Needs New Attitude

We visited this restaurant twice during our stay in Santa Elena. The food was very good while sitting on a great little deck with a view of pink clouds at sunset. The menu was varied and the pickled onions delicious. Val, the owner, was super friendly and was an absolute delight to visit with. She even made my husband a dinner that was good for a healing "sensitive" stomach. She is dedicated to the community and works really hard. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant.

6. Re: Pickled Onion Restaurant - Owner Needs New Attitude

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, February 02, 2010