We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
reviews: 30
Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

Hi there,

Has anyone stayed at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal AND the GBP Akumal or Sian Ka'an?

If so, how do the resorts compare?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Mays Landing, New...
reviews: 23
1. Re: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

We have stayed at both, Iberostar Tucan is small, older and right on the beach, limited a la carts ( 3 per week). It is close to Playa Del Carmen, shorter trip to airport. Sian Kaan is new, modern and across the highway from the beach. It is adults only, very good food and excellent service. Room service, turn down service, a la cartes every night but good buffet also. We thought the food and service were better at Sian Kaan but did not like being across the road and would probably stay on the beach side where you would have access to the other three sections of the Bahia Principe. Completely different atmosphere, I would read reviews of both.

Seattle
reviews: 2
2. Re: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

We like the location of the Tucan and only eat breakfast and lunch there we go to PDC every night for dinner which is better than any AI resort.. e also prefer the smaller resorts. The Tucan is older but you spend very little time in your room and the resort is a great value.

Leeds, United...
3. Re: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

Ok thanks. I know the Sian Ka'an appears much more modern. I suppose I worry there wont be as much of a Mexican feel at that resort. However it is more upscale and offers more than the beachside hotels (Akumal/Coba/Tulum)

How did the beach compare?

Seattle
reviews: 2
4. Re: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

Both are great beaches. I would guess that you could get the Ocean front room at the Quetzal/Tucan for less than the standard room at Sian Ka'an.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
5. Re: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

Both are great beaches????

Playa and Playacar beaches are much better than at Bahia

Mays Landing, New...
reviews: 23
6. Re: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

Sian Kaan is very modern, we prefer the Mexican feel at other resorts like the Palladium, other Iberostars and the Bahia resorts on the beachside. We found Sian Kaan to be really quiet also. we are used to more colorful and lively resorts. Did think the Tucan beach in Playacar was better.

Edited: 6:01 pm, August 16, 2014
Chicago
reviews: 18
7. Re: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

If you are willing to stay far away from town, you should consider the Iberostar Maya Paraiso. It's really nice and right on the beach, and although it's not AO, except for the IB Grand, it's the most elegant choice in the IB complex at Playa Paraiso.

Leeds, United...
8. Re: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?

Hmmm.. the beach is kind of putting me off. We arent big swimmers in the ocean but like a nice paddle and a nice view.

I will look at the IB Paraiso Maya.. think I saw it and it was over our budget.

The SK has a big discount.

Reply to: Sian Ka'an VS Iberostar Tucan?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted