We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling GBP

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 15
Snorkelling GBP

I had seen on Tripadvisor, that there is a better spot to snorkel than the main beach, but can not find the thread now. I believe it was north of the Tulum resort, towards Oasis. Does anyone have any suggestions where to go?? We are NOT advanced at snorkelling, just like to get into the water and see some neat water life.

Wigan
reviews: 44
1. Re: Snorkelling GBP

Just get a minibus to Akumal Bay and rent a locker and equipment from one of the dive shops. With a lifejacket the snorkelling there is easy and you will see Turtles, Stingrays and Barracuda's.

Trail, Canada
reviews: 2
2. Re: Snorkelling GBP

Here's a satelite picture that is interactive using the icon at the bottom and then the slide to include Akumal Bay .

locogringo.com/maps/satellite/bahia-principe…

The best and usually safest snorkelling at all the local bays is arguably in the north ends that tend to be protected from prevailing winds from the north . This is true of Halfmoon Bay and Akumal Bay and to the flatter less pronounced bay of Aventuras Akumal on to the GBP . A study of the aerial shows quite a bit more dark water , indicating reef structure , down by the Oasis end as you mention . I have seen fantastic photos online , taken by experienced snorkellers , down that way . I would caution beginning snorkellers to be aware of the dangers of currents and open water swimming in less protected areas and the the use of flotation vests .

I would further caution about a far more common problem that is less obvious but still painful and that is contact with sharp corals and bottom dwelling sea life such as spiny sea urchins . I was told by a big Oasis fan that the urchins at that end of the bay were thriving and that people should be aware of this .

As with harmless sandbars the ocean can also get shallower as you get further from shore with reef structure in all local bays and more people are injured by too little water than too much . Water that seems too deep for your liking is fairly obvious but too little water can sneak up on you , especially with one larger rogue wave or boat wake rolling by .

Get out there and explore but be aware of hitting coral , a tragedy for both parties and wear a rashgaurd , a tight fitting nylon shirt of some sort and a vest .

Here's a cool video from down by the Oasis end to indicate structure and clarity and a nice ray on a nice day .

http://vimeo.com/7072123

Akumal Bay itself is fantastic , of course .

vernon canada
reviews: 3
3. Re: Snorkelling GBP

We also did some snorkeling in Chemuyil bay , a short walk south past the akumal section and around the corner. Not nearly as good as akumal bay , but better than the small area at the GBP Coba/Akumal . There are some very cool trenches (visible on google earth) they are quite a ways out so you should be wearing some sort of floatation device and swimming with a couple of buddys if you go out there.

4. Re: Snorkelling GBP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 27, 2014