We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
reviews: 1
Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

Obviously it's not the most crucial aspect (people homes and livelihoods take precedent), but I was wondering if anyone knew how the snorkeling fared after the hurricane. Is Ya Kul still worth going to? Akumal bay? My family are big snorklers. We aren't scheduled to go until Jan 8, but we are watching with interest.

Joy

Lima,OH
1. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

I think you'll be OK in that area. From what I've read on playainfo the snorkeling in Akumal, Half Moon Bay and Ya Kul isn't hurt. Another place I saw and plan to visit in February is Manatee Cenote just behind Casa Cenote,north of the Sunscape Tulum.

Have a great time and let us know how it is.

BB

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 26
2. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

Beachbumpkin manatee cenote suffered damage. I read a post that a limestone wall fell into it. I will find that post and repost it for you, so you dont think Im giving you a friend of a friend of a friends information. I was soo saddened to read that because we snorkeled the manatee cenote in late september and had a blast in it.

Lima,OH
3. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

chigal,

I'm sad to hear about that. I was hoping we could walk there from our resort. :-(

I'll keep looking, I was afraid that the reef wouldn't be much to look at after being scoured by the waves. Let me know what you find, I'll be watching.

Thanks,

BB

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
4. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

There is a post on locogringo stating that they snorkeled the saturday after wilma hit in tanka and they saw amazing fish and coral, so the reef is still in good shape but Im still searching for the info I read on manatee cenote.

Lima,OH
5. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

chigal,

That's good to hear. I'm looking forward to hearing more as you find it.

Thanks,

BB

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
6. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

Ok, playainfo.com under wilma/tulum info has a post with pictures of casa cenote post wilma. Its not good news but im still searching for the info on manatee cenote.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
7. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

Here is the info on the cenote. "this is kinda hard for me.... Casa Cenote in Tankah is pretty much outta commission for months . The concrete pavers and approximately 48 inches of limestone fill were washed into Manatee Cenote. Another pic shows a Bobcat loader that was in Gary's parking lot almost washed into the cenote, it was buried with about 5 feet of sand "

Lima,OH
8. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

chigal,

Thanks for your post. I had seen the photos for the entry you mentioned. I just e-mailed CasaCenote to see what's up and how things look. We're still going to see them and spend some time.

BB

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
9. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

Good for you beachbumpkin enjoy your time down in my little bit of heaven on earth. I cant wait to get back in April 2006 I might even grab a quick getaway in Feb if I can swing it.

Sheffield, UK
reviews: 4
10. Re: Post Wilma snorkeling? Ya Kul?

I have never been to mexico so pardon my ignorance but are sharks/turtles ever seen when scuba diving? Are they rare or not around this area?