We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

Hello! I have been lurking around the forum here gathering info for our trip to Bahai Principe Akumal in a couple of weeks, and now I have a question for you all....

We are going down with our 18 month old daughter, and would like to do some touring of the ruins etc. but are not sure what the best way to get around is. We have thought about renting a car so that she can be in her car seat (which we are bringing on the plane), but have heard that driving can be challenging. I've also seen some private tours offered that will pick us up at the hotel, take us where we want to go and bring us back. The other suggestion has been to just take a taxi and negotiate a flat rate. I'd like to avoid bus tours so that we have control over when we leave/return.

Any suggestions, comments, advice is greatly appreciated!!

philadelphia
reviews: 4
1. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

We opted to hire a taxi for the day...worked out well for us, but it was only my wife an myself. The driver knew the roads and waited for us while we toured. I think I got a decent deal. PM me if you want more specifics; I can put you in touch with the guy who helped us at the BP.

Boston...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

We were at GBP in Feb. We rented a car and drove to Tulum and Coba. The roads are good and the driving was easy- try 128 around Boston some day! I just stuck to the speed limit and let the locals pass- no problem.

Maryland
reviews: 45
3. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

First we booked a private transfer and figured we would catch taxi's or collectivo's to wherever we wished to go. But then we decided to rent a car and have the freedom to go where and when we want and not have to lug our snorkel gear (4 people) with us in and out of taxi's, etc.

We rented a car from Easyway for $269 for 5 days with all insurances included. The transfer from the airport/hotel/airport alone was $145 so it made sense to us.

Guess it depends on how much you are planning on doing. If you only plan on going out one time, then a taxi might be your better bet. If you plan on going here and there, then I would consider renting a car and having your car seat in it.

We plan on doing the speed limit and yielding to the locals. We drove on the opposite side in the Bahamas without problem and even drove mopeds in Bermuda on the left also. I heard its a pretty easy drive down 307.

Enjoy your trip.

pg
4. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

Hey there.

I actaully am in the same situation. Since I have to go to a wedding in Puerto Vallarta and then fly from there to Cancun, then Cancun to BPA. We have no transportatoin arranged because we are not on a chargter. So it's either pay $130 USD for a transfer airport-resort round trip, or split a car rental with another couple (friends of ours) and it's $250 USD each for 2 weeks. I guess the only thing I'm worried about is the insurance...so many different clauses and things that make me nervous. We're there for 2 weeks and I really want to explore a lot!

Any advice?

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

Insurance clauses would be the last of my worries driving in Mexico. Gas station scams and the mordita would be more of a concern to me.

forums.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=805212

This is just one of hundreds of stories.

Maryland
6. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

I gave thought to the hassles that could be renting a car, and at first decided not to because of some of the stories I read, but then I just would like to be able to hop in our car when we want and go where we want.

Hopefully all goes smoothly. I have read and will heed the warnings and pray.

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

I would never tell anyone not to rent a car in Mexico, just want everyone who does want to rent, to be prepared.

Hope you have a great vacation.

Hemet, California
reviews: 9
8. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

We are planning on renting a car for half the time we are staying in PDC. This could take the vacation from good to wonderful, if we can leave the resort and explore. Being pulled over by the cops could have the oposite effect. We have a lot of driving planned, going from PDC to Akumla, Tulum and Chichen Itza. If you get pulled over and can't pay, what's the worse will happen? Is it a good idea to have second driver's license and not worry if they want to keep one? I am starting to stress over what's going to be my first vacation in Mexico.

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

There is lots of ideas on that two are:

Carry and old wallet with only twenty dollars in it, they will more than likely just take the 20.

Another is to have a second liscence, like you mentioned.

Maryland
10. Re: Rental car vs. taxi vs. private tour

Hey Skier05, there is a Happy Hour on the 15th & 19th at Lol-Ha @ 5:00pm it will be a bunch of LGers.

I see you got a party going here yourself.

Have a blast and maybe we'll run into one another.

I am heading down with my husband and our 17 year old and my son's girlfriend (he's in the Marines so he could not come with us).

Hope to see ya.

Audrey