We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

akumal beach resort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poland, Ohio
reviews: 32
akumal beach resort

i am looking into this resort any one who has stayed there---give me the pros and cons---would really appreciate it.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
1. Re: akumal beach resort

Been there a few times - 2 weeks last month

Best snorkeling on the coast. Most go to ABR for that.

Resort is small , 1 pool , 1 buffet, 3 bars, 3 a la cartes. Less than 300 rooms

Some of the rooms are a little tired (standard rooms), others are newer (Superior)

Every room is beach view or beachfront

If you want gourmet food, drinks, this is not the place. Some say if you get tired of the food, walk into Akumal 10 minutes away for other restaurants / shopping

Mayville, Wisconsin
reviews: 7
2. Re: akumal beach resort

Have only been once but going back in November...laid-back vibe is a BIG pro! Cons - nada :)

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 27
3. Re: akumal beach resort

It really depends on what kind of accomodations you're used to staying in.

This is NOT a 4- or 5-star resort. Some people say it's a 3....

Colorado
reviews: 14
4. Re: akumal beach resort

We have been to the ABR many many times. We also have been to many other places in the area (Bahia, Riu, the former Copacabana, Catalonia, etc.) so I have some basis for comparison.

To me, the choice of the ABR is dependent on what is important to you and your family.

Pros:

1. The main reason to go to the ABR is for the beach and snorkeling. The beach is really the best for both snorkeling and swimming. The beach is protected by a reef so it is a calm and very picturesque bay. The snorkeling is great and it is one of the few areas where you can snorkel right in front of the resort and see sea turtles.

2. Another thing I love about the place is that it is quite a bit smaller than the megaresorts, so I truly believe you get much more personal service. People always remember your name. You are dealing with the same few waiters so it becomes almost a family type of atmosphere. This is a big plus for us. The staff is really great.

3. The layout of the rooms and restaurants are such that no rooms or restaurants are more than a few steps from the beach. The resort is set up horizontally across the beach rather than the way most resorts are: perpendicular with buildings positioned toward the interior. This gives the place a very beachy feel as opposed to many other resorts I've been to.

4. Akumal Bay is flanked by a small village on the northern end of the bay, so that you can visit small shops and a few good restaurants within about a 4 minute walk in case you get bored with the food. No matter WHAT all-inclusive, I get bored with the food!

Neutral:

1. The food is on-par with a lot of the other all-inclusives I've been to. Some are better (RIU, Bahia) some are worse (the old Copacabana, now Catalonia.) I always get bored with the food at all-inclusives (I like very authentic, very spicy foods, and usually the AIs are a little bland.) There are a few a la carte restaurants (Italian and Mexican) which are a nice change from the buffet. the Italian restaurant was really good this time.

2. The rooms are nothing special - no marble bathrooms, etc. They are plain, cute and functional, although with a little less storage space than I prefer. They are always very clean though, and I happen to be a person that likes the beds there (I like extremely firm beds!) The up-side to the rooms are that ALL rooms on the superior side have beautiful views overlooking the beach and water, and many of the ones on the standard side do too. We literally took about 10 steps out from our room and we are on the beach. You are really close to the beach no matter what room you choose. I'm a person who travels for a living and is used to staying in quite fancy places. That said, I kind of enjoy the simple rooms because it does remind me that I'm on the beach in Mexico rather than Las Vegas. If you prefer a really upscale room, then this may not be the place for you.

Cons:

1. The only thing I can think of us that the drinks are really just so-so. We are kind of tequila and maragrita snobs though so we really like a premium margarita and I don't care for the pre-made syrups and the booze used here. We tend to walk down to the Lol-Ha restaurant at the end of the beach and order a few really premium margaritas every few days or so which is fine for us. If you are a beer drinker, the beer is fine, and actually I do drink red wine and it is not horrible there.

Hope this helps!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
5. Re: akumal beach resort

Heidi, great overview (a thesis). I want to go back so much. Hopefully we will see you next xmas

Great to know the staff and they always recognize you from past trips

phoenix
reviews: 3
6. Re: akumal beach resort

I agree with every said above.

Pro's:

Great beach

All Inclusive (no cooking or clean up)

Great staff

Con's:

Food was bland

Beds are hard, very hard

Toledo, Ohio
reviews: 29
7. Re: akumal beach resort

Agree with the rest. I knew it was a 3*, and we had a superior room, but it was still pretty run down. Food was nothing special and drinks were poor. Snorkeling was great!

We stayed the following year at Hotel Akumal Caribe. Again, nothing fancy, but a lot less money and we were able to eat at all of the great restaurants in Akumal. Love Lol ha and Turtle Bay Bakery!!

Plano, Texas
reviews: 9
8. Re: akumal beach resort

If you are a beach person, scenery person, nature person, you will love the ABR. I would seriously question that it would cost less than Caribe. One thing I love about ABR is that wherever you are, you are right by the ocean. Your room, the three bars, the three restaurants all have beautiful views. We liked it so much we're going back for our fiftieth anniversary.

Colorado
9. Re: akumal beach resort

Rosenplano:

Congrats! What a milestone!

Colorado
10. Re: akumal beach resort

Vancouversundog: Thanks. If you go next XMas we will most probably be there and will look forward to seeing you! We are heading there in early June as well but not sure of the timing yet. I can't think past the skiing right now, LOL! Great skiing here but COLD. Looking forward to March!