We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone been to Valladoid?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, UK
Anyone been to Valladoid?

Has anyone been to the town of Valladoid? I am thinking of hiring a car from GBP for a day trip (possibly via) Coba.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
1. Re: Anyone been to Valladoid?

I am in Valladolid now. Can I help with some information?

Sheffield, UK
2. Re: Anyone been to Valladoid?

Hi,

Just wondering what to see if a visit lasting a few hours. And how long does it take to drive from the GBP hotle in Akumal.

Cheers

Southern California
reviews: 1
3. Re: Anyone been to Valladoid?

Hi Rick,

We have been here several times, and once stayed a few nights at Hotel Meson de Marques right on the main square, very nice food in the restaurant there. They only take American Express or cash though, just FYI at least in the hotel. Cannot remember about the restaurant, maybe Robert can help out there.

This is a lovely colonial town with lots of nice buildings. It is a short distance from Chichen Itza but I would recommend a visit to the much less visited ruin of Ek Balam. Wonderful site and you can climb there also if that is your thing. There are a couple of cenotes but I have not been do them.

Easiest way to get there from GBP would be to drive south to Tulum and take the right hand turn at the stop signal (next to San Francisco supermarket) to Coba, and when you hit the traffic circle before Coba and Coba ruins, take the turnoff to Chemax, will run you right into Valladolid.

Have a great time.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
4. Re: Anyone been to Valladoid?

Good advice from 55. But not really a fan of the Hotel Meson de Marques so I cant be of much help there. Its an ok place, to me, but often now the only place in town overrun with tour buses. I prefer the restaurant on the other side of the square, believe the name is Los Campanas, or something similar.

Also recommend a visit to nearby Ek Balam. I am happy to have seen Chichen but will not go back---prefer the beautiful , tranquil atmosphere at Ek Balam---without scores of tour buses.

Southern California
reviews: 1
5. Re: Anyone been to Valladoid?

Thanks Robert,

We ate at Las Campanas this past May when driving from Akumal to Uxmal, stopped for a late breakfast/early lunch. Very nice people and the food was good.

Last two trips we stayed at Hotel Hacienda Chichen Itza (but since Rick is staying at GBP he probably does not want to go out of pocket for another hotel but rather do as a day trip). However we did not go to the ruins. We did the ruins our very first trip from Cancun and got there too late and I got heat prostration. I would like to get back one of these trips just to see the structures I did not get a chance to see.

Ek Balam is a very cool site not too far from Valladolid, we hired a guide which we do not normally do, believe his name was Francisco, cost about $15 extra and well worth it.

Rick hope you have a great trip.

Sheffield, UK
6. Re: Anyone been to Valladoid?

Many thanks for the advice given above.

I will be visiting Valladoid as a day trip rather than staying overnight. I would also like to visit a Mayan site/ruin of the way there, however, I am not sure if this is possible in one day. I will also have a 23 month son with me (and my wife).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
7. Re: Anyone been to Valladoid?

You might have time for El Balam, my favorite. A very nice site, close to Valladolid but without the mobs of tourists at Chichen. And would not be at all difficult to navigate with the child---and plenty of shade.

8. Re: Anyone been to Valladoid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, September 11, 2009