We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna BC
reviews: 4
Food Question

My wife and I are heading down Oct 28 (can't wait) I keep reading about "a la carte dinners" what is this?

Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
reviews: 33
1. Re: Food Question

Which resort are you staying at? I think it all depends on your tour company on how may ala cartes you get. Ala cartes are specialty restaurants that you have to book your first day there, otherwise you might be disappointed. They are different from the buffet eating every day and quite a joy to go at at night, you kind of dress up, long pants for men and dresses or capris for woman, just something different.

Kelowna BC
2. Re: Food Question

We are staying at Gran Bahia Principe Tulum, I was hoping not to have to pack any pants ;) so maybe I wont go a la carte. Do they give you a list when you check in or are you just expected to know this? I can't find any info in my package about #s' of a la carte's.

Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
3. Re: Food Question

Which tour company did you book with? Unfortunately the men have to wear long pants, it should state in the brochure, if not your TA can tell you. Throw in a pair of chinos and you will be set for the week. You will probably have access to the Don Pablo (gourmet on the Tulum side), Oriental at the Hacienda (a must), Tequila (Mexica, not my favourite), La Gran Tortuga, Fruitos del Mar, Dolce Vita and a few on the Coba side. Check out their website, be right back to you with that.

Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
4. Re: Food Question

Check out this website:

http://www.bahia-gourmet.com/

Will tell you the ala cartes, but also check with your tour company or TA as to how many for the week...generally it is 3 per week.

Kelowna BC
5. Re: Food Question

Great link, I will have a look as much knowledge before you leave is always a great help.

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 27
6. Re: Food Question

Or if you're wearing jeans on the flight down, just slip them on for the short time you'll be eating the a la carte meal. That's what my hubby does, you don't need to pack another pair of pants. He changes out of them as soon as we're done eating. As long as they're "long pants", it doesn't matter. Some people think they're hotter than khakis or chinos, but it's really an insignificant difference, and why pack another pair of pants is the way we look at it, we just want to go eat a sit-down meal, we don't care if we're dressing to impress or not.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 18
7. Re: Food Question

My husband always wears the zip off type of pants so as soon as we get off the plane ,he zips off the bottom part and zap we have shorts, so that is what he uses for the a la cartes too..they are great.,.

Toronto, Canada
8. Re: Food Question

I wear the zip off pants too, I like to play some music while un zipping the legs, and then kinda throw the extra pieces out to the other travelers, then...............

LOL, Craking myself up today, only 5 more hours of work and then off to Mexico.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 18
9. Re: Food Question

I guess you and my husband think alike....lol

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 27
10. Re: Food Question

This little "dance" is done while wearing your gold chains, skier? With the lime green Speedo worn underneath the zip-off shorts?