We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

Do men have to wear long pants in the dining areas at Gran bahia resorts? Please pass on any other tips that may be helpful.

Thank you!

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 1
31. Re: dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

DDF -

Forgive me for being geographically impaired, but I have met some travelers from Canada who depart out of Buffalo or other northern US cities to book thru a US company for the contracts which appear to be more advantageous. For example, I book which specific section of the Bahia (or other mega resort) it is not assigned by the travel company or the resort.

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 27
32. Re: dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

DDF - I've never been afforded the generosity that seems to be extended to Laney, either...so, as a note to other posters:

Don't expect too much. If you get more than what you should have coming to you, that's great. Just don't be disappointed if you don't get it.

Toronto, Canada
33. Re: dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

Point taken Sandinyourpants,

On the other hand, I managed to finesse one of the resort reps last year into providing 10 a la cartes over a 2 week period, and entry into Mikado. While this is against policy, the point is that the lobby staff are capable of pulling strings with approval from up on high. If you say you've been there once, and you're going to come back again, but are considering the Coba resort, and would like to sample Le Gourmet or Mikado, it shouldn't be a big deal.

A lot of it I think has to do with load balancing and traffic at the restaurants. This time of year it is dead (only relatively!) compared to other periods, and where rules are more strict in high season, low season we might find managers willing to budge on the a la carte access restrictions, etc.

The other thing is, having been told from a rep at GBP that Apple Vacations/BPUSA get privileges Transat/Nolitours/Sunquest/etc don't, while the package descriptions are identical, is a discrepancy that could be raised, and looks like discrimination against certain guests depending upon travel agency, not packages (not very cool).

Apple Vacations = more expensive when I was comparing pricing, and going over the border and back, etc. has an added cost. The main advantage is price protection from some U.S. vendors' insurance partners ("lowest price guaranteed").

Any way ya slice it though, the 8 a la cartes per week in Diamond/Gold/Premier and 8 choices of restaurantsoffered to each person is more than enough. Sometimes, it's just nice to be spoiled.

Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
reviews: 33
34. Re: dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

Hi Laney, unfortunately we live about 2.5 hours from Buffalo, so it isn't an option when Pearson (Toronto Int'l) is 4 minutes away. Next time we go back I am hoping that our friend has come back from mat leave and perhaps we will get a few extra ala cartes...love the buffet as well.

Hi Sandinmypants, how are you - e-mail me...back from the cottage.

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 27
35. Re: dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

Hey DDF - I PM'd you last night...

Toronto, Canada
36. Re: dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

Welcome back DDF:

Hope you avoided the traffic.

Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
reviews: 33
37. Re: dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

Yes Skier we did, it was absolutely amazing, we were in Lake Kushog, wonderful place. Not the Bahia mind you, but relaxing nonetheless.

Sandy will get your PM right now.

38. Re: dress code at Gran Bahia resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 09, 2009