We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are my fears about Mexico justified?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 3
Are my fears about Mexico justified?

I love a beach holiday, and I know lots of people who enjoy Mexico. But I've also heard so many stories of people getting sick from the water, etc. I have a really "weak" stomach and my biggest fear is getting sick, or my kids getting sick if we tried it. I was looking at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya as there is a good deal there right now. Any comments?

Thanks

Mel

winnipeg, manitoba
reviews: 19
1. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

One word answer..........................NO!!!!

Jersey Shore
2. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

We've been going to Mexico twice a year for the past 10...

Except for catching a cold once, neither of us has ever been sick...

Just use your head and don't drink the water!...

Go, enjoy!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
reviews: 89
3. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

Don't drink the water. That includes bottled water you "find" in your room. The maids have been known to fill those bottles from the tap. So, go to the store and buy your own bottled water. Brush your teeth with it, too, and keep your eyes and mouth closed in the shower. Sounds like a pain, but you actually get used to it very quickly.

Older kids generally follow these guidelines easily, but young kids sometimes have a difficult time and make "mistakes." Spending too much of your vacation in the bathroom is never a good thing. I've been there, done that...so I'd choose another beach vacation until the kids get older. Why not consider Puerto Rico and/or the Virgin Islands...safe water and food and you can often get good deals, especially in PR. There is also good variety -- El Yunque rainforest, the forts and galleries of Old San Juan, Luquillo Beach...or check out St. Thomas in the USVI. Great beaches, shopping, and activities for the whole family. You can usually get reasonable rates at Secret Harbour Resort. Or check out Tortola in the British Virgins or even Pusser's Marina Cay, a privately-owned island with only a few villas and rooms to rent at very reasonable rates, nice beach, and calm, clear water great for children and a five minute ferry to Tortola for shopping and checking out other beaches and restaurants.

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 23
4. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

All the above people have it right. Bottled water only & wash your hands a lot. Done Mexico 10 times & only a little niggle once. I blame that on shots of tequila. Life is good.

Hamilton, Ontario...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

I have been to Mexico 5 times and never have been sick. I drink the bottled water in my room, you can tell they have not been opened and refilled, no need to buy unless you are VERY paranoid. People eat more and drink more when they are on vacation, watch buffet resorts as you never really know how long something has been sitting there, if it's from the day before or if it is at the right temperature. Just be cautious and you will be fine. Adios

London, United...
reviews: 17
6. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

No, your fears are not justified!

Use common sense and you will be fine.

Drink bottled water, but check to make sure it's sealed first.

I have never heard of housekeepers refilling bottles, even local people don't drink the water here.

If you're really concerned about this, stick to touristy restaurants and stay away from the carts on the street. If you are going to an AI, everything should be purified and clean.

If you eat a lot of spicy food, do expect some stomach upset, this can include diarrhea. It's from the chiles, not from food poisoning.

This goes the same for eating in excess at the buffets, etc. I think a lot of people get sick from eating too much and too differently from what they eat at home.

Iowa City, Iowa
reviews: 27
7. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

We've been going to Mexico for years, with no problems. We have a 5-year-old that we take with us every time, wouldn't dream of leaving him at home. We stay at A/I resorts, with no problems. We drink the bottled water in our room, make sure it's sealed first. We eat buffet only, but use our heads and don't eat anything that looks as if it's been sitting out too long. We try to eat normally, like we would at home, we don't stuff ourselves, and we don't drink to excess. We don't let our son load up on sugar, we make sure he has eats a balanced meal before he gets dessert, just like at home. The larger resorts are very clean. The reason the GSRM is running a good deal right now is most likely because it's newer and had the normal problems that any resort has when it first opens. If you read the resort reviews, you'll see that alot of the early problems were just opening jitters, they have for the most part been resolved. I'm sure if you go with an open mind, you'll have a great vacation. No resort is perfect, if you get a good deal, you're sure to get your money's worth.

Saskatoon
reviews: 12
8. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

We went to the GSMB in January. No problems with the water. Actually, I drank tons of water in the a la carte restaurants. No problem. Didn't drink the tap water though in the rooms. For all I know they came from the same place.

However, take Imodium with you. I've been to Mexico 4 times and towards the end of every trip, spent a little time in the bathroom. But that could have been from eating too much fruit and drinking too much alcohol. Imodium clears that up fairly quickly.

NovaScotia, Canada
reviews: 4
9. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

I have never been sick on holiday. I recommend you take lots of acidolphilus several weeks before you go. Eat yogurt every day you are there. Don't eat anything you wouldn't eat at home if you have a delicate digestive system. Don't drink too many tropical drinks. Good Lord, I have never experienced the maids putting tap water in the water bottles anywhere I've been in the carribbean! Where was this? I have not been to Grand Sirenis.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 10
10. Re: Are my fears about Mexico justified?

We went to GS in February. They use a purified water system - it said so in the room information binder. I brushed my teeth with tap water, drank the water in the restaurants, etc. I have a sensitive tummy too - and I wasn't sick at all.

Book your holiday!