We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Punta de Mita

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Punta de Mita hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv
Bus Punta de Mita

Hi,

I know that the bus from PV to PM can take an hour or more, and that a cab might cost around $60...

1. I am wondering where you pick up the bus from in town and airport go get to PM.

2. we are a group of 6 mid 20's who are planning to go to PV each night to party. how much would a van cost? between the 6 of us, it might be ok for $10 each way...

3. are the cabbies ok to drive at night? are the roads safe, meaning drunk and crazy drivers on the road? I wouldnt like to wake up in a ditch....

3. is it too much of a hassle to get to PV late night and return in the morning?

4. when is the 1st bus from PV to PM?

thanks

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 57
1. Re: Bus Punta de Mita

Hi:

1) From in town, you catch the bus to Punta Mita either in front of the HSBC at Plaza Las Glorias, or, easier to find, in front of the only Walmart plaza between the airport and downtown.

From the airport, it would be across the street for northbound buses. Their destination is written in chalk on the windshield. A good little explanation can be found at www.chacalanayarit.blogspot.com. There are pictures which are more or less accurate. Only, you want "Punta Mita" on the windshield, not Sayulita or Chacala of course. A van from the airport for all 6 of you would be about $90 (900 pesos).

2) Commuting to Puerto Vallarta every night from Punta Mita is almost prohibitive unless you really had to for work or something. But if you wanted to, you could rent a van. You could try www.geckorentcar.com in Bucerias (a town half way to Punta Mita) If they have vehicles available, they will pick you up at the airport and drop you back for a small fee (because you are 6. It's free for up to 3 I think). You can try other companies, just make sure you buy sufficient insurance. Gecko's prices are pretty much everything you need so you get an idea. You couldn't really take a Van every night unless it was pre-arranged private transportation. (The taxis you can "hail" are just small compacts). Two cabs would be about $100 each way. More if you got one at the airport (airport taxes). Buses are 20 pesos from the northbound stops plus 5 pesos to get to the northbound stops from downtown Vallarta. So at $2.50 p/p each way they are a bargain.

3) Driving is perfectly safe at night, but it does take well over an hour downtown. We sometimes go back and forth from Punta Mita in one day but we certainly wouldn't want to do it every day. It's tiring. One half of the trip has too many traffic lights (better at night though) and the second half is a typical winding rural road.

4) I'm sorry but I don't know exactly when the first bus to Punta Mita is but people tend to travel early to get to work. In general, buses start and end early. The northbound buses stop at all the little towns with Punta Mita being the end of the line.

If you can, try to split your trip between Punta Mita and some kind of downtown Puerto Vallarta hotel rather than trying to commute between the two places on a daily basis.

Good luck.

2. Re: Bus Punta de Mita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Punta de Mita