We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

Tennis in Ajijic

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ajijic hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa
reviews: 7
Tennis in Ajijic

Any takers for doubles with retired couple for month of January 2013 in Ajicic. We are vacationing from Canada.

Rockwood, Canada
reviews: 9
1. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

Enjoy your trip. I am so jealous. I know that there are a lot of people who play tennis there. You will probably catch up with some once you arrive.

Have you been before?

Katie

ottawa
2. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

No. I have not. But the person I am going with was there before. Have you been there? Thanks for your reply, Elaine.

Rockwood, Canada
reviews: 9
3. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

Yes I have been there 3 times. My mother lives there permanently. She moved down full time 4 years ago. I love it there and hope to in years to come to retire there in the winters. I think you will really enjoy it. It is very different, rustic and lovely. The people are amazing.

After you go please let me know what you think.

I am excited for you!

Katie

ottawa
4. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

Thanks so much for the email. I am thinking that I will really enjoy it. Being 52 I feel that it is the right time for me to start exploring places like this. We will be staying in a new condo gated community with two tennis courts, pool, etc. It looks pretty nice. Any tips you have would be appreciated. The website if you want to look where we will be is Eldoradovillas.com, Elaine.

ottawa
5. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

Hi Katie, thanks again for your reply. I would like to give u my email address. It is elaine.eastwood@bell.net. I am trying to figure out if I should buy a smart phone or a laptop for the month of January to keep in touch. It says we have internet in our condo. I wonder if I should buy the phone or laptop down there? Any ideas? Thanks, elaine.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 274
6. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

Elaine:

If you are considering a laptop, please do yourself a favor and purchase in Canada. Remember most computers in Mexico are sold for the Mexican market and have Spanish software and keyboards and they tend to be more expensive. If you have a smartphone in Canada, most can be flashed to use a Mexico Sim card by Telcel or one of the other cell companies. There are a number of Internet cafes in the area, so that is a contact option.

Apparently you have never been before, so maybe "Mexico lite" will be your best start? The Lake Chapala area is overrun with Gringos and please do yourself a favor by visiting Guadalajara, Tlaquepaque and Tonala to get a better feel for what Mexico is all about.

The El Dorado condos are in a decent location. Have never visited the facility but I feel that building is just one more detraction for the area. You can expect some quite decent restaurants - our personal favorites are Yves and Roberto's.

ottawa
7. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

Thanks so much for your comments. Very much appreciated. I understand how those condos can be viewed negatively. Elaine.

ottawa
8. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

This may be a stupid question but what is "Mexico lite"? Thanks, Elaine who is travelling to Ajijic for the month of January and would like to make sure she keeps connected back home via internet/phone at the best possible price.

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 274
9. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

Elaine:

"Mexico lite" = the north shore of Lake Chapala has been developed for the foreigners (Gringos) and in my opinion reflects very little of the true Mexico. For one thing you will probably hear more English being spoken than Spanish and then you have a sedimentary population many of which could care less about Mexico and its history, traditions or people since they rarely venture away from the Lake. This may sound harsh to you but just trying to be candid.

ottawa
10. Re: Tennis in Ajijic

No, I appreciate your opinion. Thank-you. That explanation helps me to understand what you mean. I will try to explore and experience as much as I can by bus. Thanks, Elaine from Canada.