We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Huntsville, Canada
reviews: 22
Car Rental

My partner and I are travelling to Muskoka in April, flying from the uk to Toronto Airport. Is there any way anyone can think of renting a car at the airport and dropping it off in Huntsville/Muskoka, somewhere close by? Once we are in the area, our friend has a car we can borrow (we are staying 2 months so dropping back off at the airport is ruled out)...I have checked hire companies but none mention this as an option. Is there anyone who has done it/heard of it being done in this area?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 23
1. Re: Car Rental

Hi Victorian131.......welcome to the TA Forums.................................I've never needed to do this myself, but try Enterprise Rental Cars....they have a location at Pearson Airport and on Main St in Huntsville.........they also do one way rentals....so perhaps they can accommodate you.....website below

http://www.enterpriserentacar.ca

Edited: 10:14 am, November 25, 2013
Toronto
2. Re: Car Rental

Generally speaking, yes you can rent a car in one location and return it at another in the same province, albeit for a surcharge. As Eden7 points out, Enterprise Rent-A-Car has a location in Huntsville (as well as Bracebridge), and of course in Toronto at Pearson.

Unfortunately however, it seems Enterprise only offers one-way rentals between airports, so they wouldn't accept a Toronto rental with return in Huntsville or Bracebridge. At least not through their online system; you could phone them, perhaps their Huntsville location directly, and ask if something can be arranged.

If not, the nearest city with an airport where you could book a return is North Bay. That's about an hour's drive north of Huntsville, so you could look at the possibility of meeting your friends there -- or drive up to North Bay later to return the rental car, either with another driver in the borrowed car, or go up to North Bay alone and take a southbound Ontario Northland bus back to Huntsville. (Enterprise, and perhaps other companies, would offer you a ride from their location to the bus terminal.)

As for the pubic transportation all the way option, you could take the TTC (Toronto local transit) from Pearson to Yorkdale, which takes about an hour by a combination of bus and subway. From Yorkdale you can catch an Ontario Northland bus to Huntsville. You might not like this option as you'll have luggage, and your flight arrival might not dovetail with the Northland schedule.

Huntsville, Canada
3. Re: Car Rental

Thank you both for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. I think the best thing to do is, as suggested, give them a ring. I'm sure they can be more accommodating over the phone than an online booking system. Driving to drop the car off up north is an idea I hadn't considered (the having no luggage to cart around makes it an even better choice should it come to it)

Thanks again! :)

muskoka
4. Re: Car Rental

You can take a bus to Muskoka from the airport.

There is a daily Airporter service that runs from the Airport along the HighWay # 11 corridor and stops in all the main towns on the way.

The car rental companies do it but its not very economical and the fees can be as much as $ 250-$300 for them to pick up the vehicle from Muskoka if you are traveling one way with it only.

Contact Information & Locations

Email: reserve@northernairport.com

Toll-Free: 1.800.461.4219

Local Phone: 705.474.7942

Fax: 705.474.6704

Address: 317 Carmichael Dr.

North Bay, Ontario P1B 8G2

Canada

Good Luck

Mr. Esa Paltanen

General Manager

The Sherwood Inn Resort

Port Carling Ontario

epaltanen@clublink.ca

Huntsville, Canada
5. Re: Car Rental

Thank you for the site and info, the fares are high but considering how far it's going it's fairly reasonable and really good to know as an option :)

Reply to: Car Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Muskoka District