We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Dakota State Fair 2012

Which Minot hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Andover...
reviews: 22
North Dakota State Fair 2012

STAY AWAY!!! It is not a place you should bring your children which is unfortunate since it is a state fair and advertised as fun for the family. There is a lack of security or police presence in the crowds. The amount and degree of violence that occured on a daily basis there is unbeliveable!! The fair staff itself does a great job at keeping all negative post off their fb page so everyone thinks that it is safe and fun filled. If you are thinking about going DON"T it is a awful place!!!

10 replies to this topic
North Dakota
Destination Expert
for North Dakota
reviews: 11
1. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

We took our children during the day up there and they are 6 months and 2 years old. We had no problem whatsoever and I have never seen a problem. I do not go to the concerts so perhaps that was the issue at night,, but otherwise I have never seen an issue. Sorry you had a bad experience.

2. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

We attended the ND State Fair and had a fantastic time! You do not get very specific about your experiences...exactly what was it that made you feel this way? Did something happen to you or your family friends? Just wondering....

North Andover...
3. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

Yes I (along with many others) had a terrible time there! I did attend one of the concerts that I was brutally attacked by a group of 5 five people ( 2 men and 3 women) not once but twice and got NO help from either the "security" nor the local police department infact the local police let the attackers go once they were in custody after they ( the cops) saw them attacking us. The fair staff removed reports daily of the violence that occured the nights before from FB. My sister and I were not the only victims of attacks at the fair. I saw on their fb page reports of children being vomited on, urinated on ,even reports of the "unspeakable" to a young woman that was found assulated, covered in blood and vomit and security even refused to help her. Reports of the vendors ripping off both children and adults when they were purchasing food items!!!! Several residents of Minot have stated that due to the influx of 35,000 people to handle the oil boom is making daily life in Minot unsafe one woman stated she was afraid to go to the local stores during the day and they only expect more and more people to move there. Why would they invite even more people there if they are having a hard time handling the influx of people??? I know it is just the lure of the almighty dollar with no regards to anyone or their safety.

North Dakota
Destination Expert
for North Dakota
4. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

I don't think anyone is inviting anyone. There is an influx because we have jobs where a lot of places don't. I've had to go up to Minot for the day for work and never felt unsafe during the day. I've got good friends who are lifelong Minot residents and they don't feel unsafe during the day.

Personally I would not be going out at night by myself in Minot, nor would I go to the concerts at the state fair. It sounds like the same stuff that used to happen at the Red River Valley Fair at some of the concerts. Adding in alcohol with too many people is just asking for trouble.

North Andover
reviews: 1
5. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

Hi ladies, the lack of security (I saw 1 kid during the show), the lack of police (I found 1), the fact they sold tickets for alcohol (which was then poured into cups and given to young people who had not shown ID),no searches of patrons were done at the gate and open drug use was tolerated really disgusted me. Being the victim of a gang attack horrified me, getting no help from the people who were in charge stunned me. I was sober, am not a troublemaker and had driven cross country for this event. I was wearing a skirt and white shirt not exactly "looking for trouble" clothes ;) I am a mature woman who feels if they cannot provide proper security then they should not be holding these activities. For example a recent concert here in MA had 50 uniformed police in the parking lot. At the entire fair on 7/20 for the concert and fair 3 city of Minot officers were on duty, considering the amount of assaults, people passed out, open drug use and injuries to me that is negligence. Have a good day.

North Andover...
6. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

Of course they were inviting people, websites, for examples: the NDSF website, ND travel and tourism, Face book etc, advertisements and the fans of the artist who played will often travel to see them How is that not inviting people? Your paragraph about not going out at night nor attending the concerts at night speaks VOLUMES about the issues that exist in Minot. Why have concerts and keep the Carnival rides open until 2am??? Without have the proper amount of security and police presence needed to keep the public safe? . I live outside of Boston (which is a much bigger city than Minot)and do not fear going out there at night. I have been to hundreds of concerts, including 2 day festivals and numerous Kid Rock shows and have never seen nor heard about of the amount violence that occurred during the entire week of the fair. Even a closed forum from here in 2009 about the state fair, there were problems of disorganization then, I just see that it has gotten much worse over the years.

North Andover...
7. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

this is for JACombs the "destination expert" you stated above that you didn't think anyone was inviting anyone to the fair, yet I have enclosed a part of a blog from the state fair fb page stating how they have increased the 2012 promotion of the fair with the tag Great Big Fun! "The 2012 State Fair also had more promotion and more media than ever before. That included magazine and newspaper ads, TV and radio spots, billboards, displays, posters, websites, banner ads and more. Under the banner of “Great. Big. Fun.”, the Fair did a lot this year to expand its promotional efforts to let people know that the Fair was back and bigger than ever." Maybe next year they can use more of the profits they made to hire enough security to keep people safe! As you stated yourself adding alochol is asking for trouble. They way they sell alochol is asking for trouble they have no control over it!!!!! They allow you to purchase alochol tickets on line and at the fair and then get to another section to purchase it with the tickets, how is that ensuring that there is no underage drinking? They can't they never checked id's if you had a ticket in your hand. Minot and the state fair itself is a terrible horrible place that should be avoided by all people!!!!

North Dakota
Destination Expert
for North Dakota
8. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

I apologize that I was not clear. I do not think the locals are purposefully inviting all of the new people moving to the area. I was not talking about the fair, which has always been promoted, as is Norsk Hostfest and other attractions. I am sorry you had a bad time. We enjoyed the fair, but did not go to the concerts or go at night.

Stanley, North...
reviews: 34
9. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

The North Dakota State Fair in Minot is not the only fair that has had its share of security issues. The Red River Valley Fair touts itself as a family show, yet there's been similar incidents that have occured there as well.

Minot is having a difficult time adjusting to the influx of people, very similar to the rest of western North Dakota.

Having said that, however, I moved out here two months ago, and have never felt unsafe, especially during the day. I use city/street sense and some COMMON sense to not go out at night by myself--and not just in Minot, but anywhere. I'm from Minneapolis--there are places that you don't even drive to, much less walk around at night. I'm pretty sure ANY other city is the same, whether that is Boston, New York, or even Fargo for crying out loud.

I was at the North Dakota State Fair, volunteering at a booth. I went to one concert. Never had any problems.

And getting ripped off at a state fair? Pff, that happens everywhere. Try the Minnesota State Fair--fun, but disgustingly expensive.

I will not say these incidents didn't happen. But I do get QUITE tired of people knocking western North Dakota for crime and police issues. Minot is NOT a bad city to stay away from--it is a town experiencing unexpected growth due to the fact that the oil boom is moving in a different direction than many forecasters originally thought.

Edited: 11:39 am, November 10, 2012
North Andover...
10. Re: North Dakota State Fair 2012

Oh Minot is a horrible city and I have been urging everyone to stay away from it and the state fair! Many of the residents have said it over and over along with the trend to blame the oil boom. The people that caused the trouble was Minot citizens not the people working the Oil Boom, but since it seems to be a cop out for the issues there in Minot why invite even more people into that city, when the law enforcement cannot control it on a normal day to day basis? If the local police did their job nobody would have a reason to "knock" them, they don't uphold the law nor do they care too.

Reply to: North Dakota State Fair 2012
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Minot
Recent Conversations
More Minot Topics