We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time - advice

Which Golden Sands hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
reviews: 2
1st time - advice

Hi,

Hubby and I have never been to Golden Sands but pals have an apartment there in Igilkia complex which they have not used so offering us in June. We are going to try to fly to Varna but flights do not arrive until 0200. Is it possible to get a safe taxi ride at that time of night ?. Can anyone advise if there is much to do in G Sands, nightlife, shopping etc, outside of spending day on the beaches. I quite like shopping, hubby likes watersports and both into nice restaurents / bars. Is the area of apartment ok ?. Thanks in advance.

Edinburgh
reviews: 56
1. Re: 1st time - advice

Hi

My husband and I have been going to Golden Sands for many many years and love it. We havent been the last couple of years because the Edinburgh to Varna flight was withdrawn, then the Glasgow to Varna flight was also withdrawn. Our only option was to fly into Bourgas which means a 3 hr transfer time and we didnt fancy doing this.

I know there is a property called Iglika on the right hand side on the way up from the large Admiral hotel in the square. Its minutes from Party Street (which gets very lively) and wonder if this is the property you mean. If it is, its a good location just a few minutes to the beach and theres lots of bars/restaurants there plus lots of little stalls etc. Further up the back of the resort you have the AquaPolis waterpark. Its a busy resort with lots going on. You will find that your money goes a long way in Bulgaria compared to other popular tourist destinations as food and drink is much cheaper. As for shopping it isnt far to Varna and you can catch a bus which will take you in approx 30-40 mins if I remember correctly. Watersports are reasonably priced.

Thats the only property I can think of called Iglika but as there are lots of new buildings going up all the time this may not be the one your friends have. There shouldnt be a problem in getting a taxi at that time. Hope this helps a little.

Varna, Bulgaria
reviews: 7
2. Re: 1st time - advice

Hi,

It is absolutely safely to take a taxi from the airport to Golden Sands at night just be ready to negotiate with the taxi drivers - up to 20 GBP. Don't change at the airport as you don't need bulgarian levs for the first night. Golden Sands is a resort and offers almost everything - watersports, aquapark, bars/rests, markets etc. but the prices are a bit higher compare to those in Varna.

Varna is a lovely, vibrant city and worths to be seen, lots of reataurants - traditional, italian, turkish, greek, fish.....and up to now 4 big shopping centers.

During the summer there is a public transport running 24 hours from Golden Sands to Varna and the price of the ticket is 3leva/1.2GBP.

Dany

scotland
reviews: 2
3. Re: 1st time - advice

Thank you both so much for your guidance, now to decide. Thanks again

Belfast, United...
reviews: 14
4. Re: 1st time - advice

HI

We have been going to Golden Sands once a year over the last 7yrs. I would recommend you fly into Varna if you can, the Bourgas transfer is tedious avoid if you can.For a friendly safe taxi i can send you a number to your message box ,he lives in varna but is based at the metropol hotel in golden sands and is a guy my parents know over the past twenty years of goiing to the area.Alternativly you could contact the hotel and ask for (Zlati) or his number.Hope this helps,golden sands is a nice clean resort,prices have gone up abit but is still good value.

holichaser.

5. Re: 1st time - advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 16, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Golden Sands