We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Which Waikkal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 15
Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

We have one night in Colombo when we arrive Saturday. Should be at the hotel by about 6pm. Can anyone suggest a good restaurant and perhaps a bar near to the Holiday Inn?

Thanks

Paul

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 273
1. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Hi Paul,

There are plenty of good restaurents in Colombo and specially around the Holiday inn Colombo.

This also depends on the food that you would like to have.. There is a good german restaurent by the side of the galle face courts with a good bar which is quite famous here. It is well recommended as I ve been there personally and its also within walking distance from the Holiday Inn.

Galle face hotel is also a good place to have meals as they have a lovely sea view restaurent with a bar too.. There are plenty of chinese restaurents around colombo and if you let me know your choice of food, I would give you exact locations.

Hope this helps..and enjoy your stay.

Regards.

Treshi, Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Sheffield, United...
2. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Hi Treshi,

My girlfriend is vegetarian, I have been told this should pose too much of a problem generally, but if you know of a restaurant that does good vegetarian food that would be great. Local cuisine would be fantastic, I have read that Koluu's does great food and that Shanti Vihar is good for Veggies. any other suggestions?

Paul

London, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

The Holiday Inn itself has two quite acceptable restaurants within the building - We found 'The Mogul' very good.

I hope you meant "this should NOT be a problem' when refering to your wife being a vegetarian.

London, United...
4. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Sorry "girlfriend" - not 'Wife'

Sheffield, United...
5. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Indeed number 59, should have read it through before I posted!! Thanks for the advice, we may not want to stray too far, going to be tired after 11 hour flight!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
6. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Hello Paul,

Yes Kollu's (non veg/veg) and Shanthi Vihari (veg) are well recommended. Shanthi Vihar serves indian food and Kollu's will be serving a mix of food. If you prefer Indian food, I would also recommend Amarawathi in Mile Post Avenue, Col 3 and Amrith Indian Restaurent in Dickman's Road, Col 5 which serves wonderful indian food but this is also a non veg restaurent where as you can request for vegetarian food.

If you prefer sri lankan food you can visit `Raja Bojun' at ceylinco ceylan towers as they will be having sri lankan buffets and you can opt out any non veg as you like. Also Thambapani Restaurent at Col 3 is another good sri lankan restaurent. Sri Lankan cuisine will also be served at the Palmyrah Restaruent at Hotel Renuka in col 3. Deli Market at the world Trade centre is also a good choice for variety of food as they do cater to all needs.

Pls also check out the Raffles Restaurent at Bagathale Rd, Col 3/ The Gallery Cafe at Col 3/ Number 18 at Col 7/Golden Mile in Mt Lavinia/Cricket Club Cafe at col 3 and Clancy's Irish Pub and restaurent at Col 7 as they are my personal favourites.

All the above places will be serving various kind of food and all you have to do is to request for non veg and it will be served. They are also located very closely to the Holiday inn other than the restaurent I mentioned in Mt Lavinia which will be around 30 minutes drive from the galle face.

Also there are two food courts available at the Majestic City col 3 and Crescat col 3 shopping malls which are very much within the reach. Just try them out as they also will be having all kinds of food around there.

Well, I hope this helps and do request for any info if needed.

Regards.

Sheffield, United...
7. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Treshi,

This is great. Thank you very much. I will let you know what we go for and what our holiday as whole was like in 2 weeks time!

One further request I have heard that the pugs are old Britsh with 3 round pins. I cannot get adapter for thsi type over here, can you get the in Sri Lanka or is another solution?

Many thanks

Paul

London, United...
8. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Re Electricity.

Much of Sri Lanka uses the old fashioned British 3 round pin 5amp plug/socket (not to be confused with the larger 15amp type used in countries like South Africa).

There are slight differences in the dimensions of the two power pins of the 3 pin socket and a standard European two pin adapter but it is usually possible to insert the two pin European adapter and obtain a connection - although you may need to stick a match stick into the Earth hole to open the shutters of the power pins (have a look at how your sockets at home work and you will understand)

I actually purchased a couple of 5 amp plugs - yes they can still be obtained in the UK - and made myself a couple of short leads converting the 3 pin to a standard UK socket.

Hotels which are currently being refurbished/rebuilt seem to be fitting the standard 3 flat pin '13amp' sockets we use in the UK.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
9. Re: Restaurants near Holiday Inn, colombo

Hi Paul,

I think Number59 has answered your query with regard to the electricity and hope it will help.

Enjoy your stay and hope you will have a great time here in my country..

Regards.