We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Visit to Wake Forest

Which Winston Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 10
College Visit to Wake Forest

I am taking my daughter on a college visit to the East. One of the colleges we will visit is Wake Forest. We're only there for the day (after UNC and Duke and before University of Richmond). I'd love any suggestions of places to visit/see/eat while in Winston Salem that will give her the feel of Wake Forest and the surrounding area.

Thanks!

1 reply
North Carolina
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
reviews: 25
1. Re: College Visit to Wake Forest

Hi Lisa,

I replied to your other thread about Chapel Hill (I went to school there and my son attends now), and since I live in Winston-Salem now I'll try to help you out here as well.

Like Duke, Wake Forest is somewhat isolated from the rest of the city--it's located about a mile north of the main business district and there's not much for students within walking distance. There is Reynolda Village, a collection of shops and restaurants, that's adjacent to campus, but it's mostly targeted towards an older and more affluent clientele as opposed to students. Still worth a quick walk-through, though. It's on Reynolda Road next to the main campus entrance.

You should also visit downtown Winston-Salem. Fourth Street is the main hub of activity, offering a number of restaurants but not a lot of shops. There are more shops at the 6th and Trade Street area, which is a couple of blocks north of Fourth Street. Lunch recommendations include Sweet Potatoes, Finnigan's Wake, Foothills Brewery, or West End Cafe (all downtown), and the Village Tavern (which is at Reynolda Village mentioned above). Google for location and menus. You might also take a quick walk/ride through Old Salem, the restored 18th century original settlement featuring cobblestone streets and workers in period costumes.

If you have more questions, just ask!

Reply to: College Visit to Wake Forest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted