We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pgh to MB

Which Winston Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
reviews: 19
Pgh to MB

we have stayed in Winston-Salem in the past while on our way to MB from Pgh, but then switched to go a little farther to stay in Greensboro. However now with the new highway we won't go through Greensboro at all. So now back to Winston Salem area it is! I was looking at some motels near the Hanes Mall area, but seemed like it was taking us out of our way....how far is this from the highway & where we need to go?

18 replies to this topic
North Carolina
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
reviews: 24
1. Re: Pgh to MB

Hanes Mall is about 4 miles west of the I-40/US 52 intersection. Not far at all, and you'll find lots of hotel and restaurant options in that area.

Pittsburgh
2. Re: Pgh to MB

We usually stay in Charlotte on our way to MB. Do you think the route through Winston Salem is better? Mapquest shows it is about 15-20 minutes faster but I wasn't sure how good the roads are.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach
reviews: 25
3. Re: Pgh to MB

yes, the W-S way to MB is better, easier. The roads are great, 4-lane all the way until 410. Plus that nice, brand new section of I-74 (old 311) If you google maps, thats the way that comes up. Last time we went, we stayed in Asheboro, just south of WS..plenty of hotels in that area too. We stayed in a very nice Holiday Inn Express, but also passed a Hampton Inn and couple other places. Easy and quick on/off from Rt. 220. It is about 45 minutes past W-S, but it will be that much closer to MB the next day. ;)

Edited: 9:44 am, August 05, 2013
North Carolina
Destination Expert
4. Re: Pgh to MB

madyag, going through Winston-Salem is at least 30 minutes faster than going through Charlotte, and that's without considering the frequent traffic snarls you'll encounter at certain times in Charlotte. Sometimes I-77 slows to a crawl as you get close to Charlotte, so by all means you should take the I-74 route.

NC
reviews: 71
5. Re: Pgh to MB

Yes, going through Winston is definitely quicker & easier than going through Charlotte.

Also agree with above post about staying in the Hanes Mall area. Not out of the way at all and you will have a huge selection of hotels & restaurants to choose from.

I live in Winston, so feel free to message me if you are looking for any particular restaurants--we can help get you a hotel near a restaurant you may be interested in.

Edited: 10:09 am, August 05, 2013
Mars
reviews: 7
6. Re: Pgh to MB

I just got a trip tick from AAA today and they routed us thru Charlotte...going from Pgh to Myrtle Beach. We've gone thru Winston Salem the past few years and liked it better than Charlotte. Is there road construction or something we should be aware of that would keep us from going thru WS?

NC
reviews: 71
7. Re: Pgh to MB

Does it bring you down 52 South to Winston?

North Carolina
Destination Expert
8. Re: Pgh to MB

sewmuch, I have no idea why AAA would route you through Charlotte. There is some construction on US 52 through Winston-Salem (part of the long-term project to upgrade it to interstate status), but the phase it's in now doesn't slow traffic at all. Besides, the I-77 construction zones near Charlotte are much worse than what's going on in W-S, so I don't think that would be the reason for AAA's route. I see no reason to avoid the Winston-Salem route, but if you're concerned you could call AAA and ask them why they would send you through Charlotte.

Mars
reviews: 7
9. Re: Pgh to MB

Thanks for your answer. I did ask AAA and they told me they always route travelers the fastest way. I'm thinking that maybe some politics is coming into play. Maybe Charlotte is losing some valuable tourist money and AAA is taking heat for it? Just thinking....!

North Carolina
Destination Expert
10. Re: Pgh to MB

^ You may be onto something. AAA Carolinas headquarters is in Charlotte. Hmmm...

Reply to: Pgh to MB
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted