We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking near Winston-Salem

Which Winston Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Kayaking near Winston-Salem

Maybe moving there -- is the any where, public access, close enough that you can go over for a quick hour on the water after work? In other words, not so far away that it has to be a special, day-long activity.

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

Yep, there are a number of options. The Yadkin River, Salem Lake, Hanging Rock Lake, Belews Lake, Oak Hollow Lake, and Lake Tom-a-Lex are all within 30 minutes or so from W-S. Just a little farther out (45 min to 1 hour) are Lake Norman, High Rock Lake, Randleman Reservoir, and lakes Brandt, Higgins, and Townsend in Greensboro.

NC
Level Contributor
663 posts
126 reviews
2. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

The distance for some of these really depends on which section of Winston you would be driving from. Several of these are much further than 30 min/1 hr. Hanging Rock is an hour from south Winston. Lake Norman is 1 hr 20 min from south Winston. (I live on the south side of Winston and have been to many of these lakes). If you are leaving from the north side of Winston, add another 30 minutes to Lake Norman.

I, personally, do not care for Salem Lake, only because of the location, but it is a nice lake/park.

If you are wanting to get somewhere pretty quickly, unless you are on the east side of Winston (Kernersville), I would mark anything in Greensboro off the list.

Edited: 11:02 pm, July 26, 2013
North Carolina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

Jenn, do you drive very slowly or something? I live in Clemmons, and I can get to Hanging Rock in about 45-50 minutes. It takes 10 minutes to get to Winston from here, so you can easily get to HR in 35-40 minutes if you start in downtown W-S. Of course, if you're on the south side of W-S it will add a few minutes more. But the OP didn't say on which side of W-S they'll be living, so looking at it another way it's only 25-30 minutes if you start from the north side of W-S.

Likewise, Lake Norman State Park is a 45 minute drive from my house in Clemmons. So starting in W-S would add 10 minutes, making it a little less than 1 hour.

And I don't understand your apparent disdain for the Greensboro lakes. Townsend is a 40-45 minute drive from downtown W-S, making it easily within reach for an evening trip. Lakes Higgin and Brandt are a little closer than that.

NC
Level Contributor
663 posts
126 reviews
4. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

I'm sorry--I must have misunderstood the OP. If the OP would give us more of a time limit that she is looking to drive after work, then I may be more helpful.

Lol....no, I don't drive slowly. It takes 1 hr from my house to get to Hanging Rock and it takes 1 hr 20 min to get to Lake Norman.

The OP was asking for lakes nearby to go to after work. I'm sorry, but unless the OP is off work the next day, I would never recommend sending them to Lake Norman for a quick kayak adventure. Lake Norman is down in Huntersville. With I-77 or I-85 traffic after work, there is no way someone from Winston would make that drive in under an hour (then they have to drive home). Even from downtown Winston, it's 1 hr and 15 min to Lake Norman (add extra time for rush hour traffic) I know I don't want to drive 2 hrs after a long day at work for a 1 hr kayak ride. Same thing with Greensboro--rush hour traffic can easily add an additional 30 minutes to the drive.

I think all the lakes you mentioned are great, but I was just saying because of the distance to some of them, they would not be good choices for a short kayak ride after work. They are great choices for days off and weekends though.

North Carolina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

No problem Jenn, but a to a dedicated kayaker, an hour's drive is nothing. And just to nitpick, you don't have to drive to Huntersville to get to Lake Norman. As I said, LN State Park is only an hour's drive from Winston-Salem, just below Troutman, NC. One could leave work at 5:00, be in the water by 6:00, paddle for an hour, and be back home by 8:00. Easily doable.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

I'm kinda spoiled, because I live right on a eleven-mile long recreational lake that is ice-free at least eight months of the year. I merely portage about 500 feet from my front door, to the beach, and water's edge. Makes an after-work outing all paddle-no travel! It's a sweet set-up -- gonna really miss it!

North Carolina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

^ Yep, that is a sweet setup you have. Unfortunately there are no large lakes in Forsyth County, but the Yadkin River offers good paddling. It's a little more work than being on a lake, though! Otherwise Salem Lake is probably your best option for a quick trip.

There are also some neighborhood and farm ponds scattered throughout the county that would be good for short trips. You may be able to use one of them if you get to know someone or buy a house with access. Good luck on your potential move!

Belews Creek
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
8. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

You folks have both avoided nearby Belews Lake, especially tranquil during the week?

North Carolina
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

^ Hal, I mentioned Belews Lake in my first post.

Edited: 7:54 am, August 12, 2013
10. Re: Kayaking near Winston-Salem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, March 13, 2015