We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit first

Which Winston Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Teesside, England
reviews: 41
Where to visit first

Travelling from Asheville we plan to visit both both Reynolda House museum of American Art and Old Salem (South main St.), before we move on to our hotel for the night in Greensboro.

Which one would it be easiest to visit first, or doesn't it matter?

12 replies to this topic
NC
reviews: 104
1. Re: Where to visit first

Honestly, it really won't matter. They are only 10 minutes from each other. However, I'm assuming you're coming I-40, so you could go the Reynolda House first, then over to Old Salem. Old Salem is right next to the interstate, so it's an easy and quick turn back onto the interstate & on to Greeensboro.

You will love both of these places! Very interesting and fun to visit!

Teesside, England
2. Re: Where to visit first

Many thanks for your reply.

Roughly what would be the driving time from Asheville to Wintson-Salem be, along I-40 . . . . about 3 hrs?

We are now thinking of staying overnight in Burlington en-route to Richmond.

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
reviews: 27
3. Re: Where to visit first

It's only 2 hours from Asheville to Winston-Salem. Burlington is an just under an hour from Winston-Salem.

And I would agree with Jenn--it would be a little more convenient for you to visit Reynolda House first, then Old Salem, but it doesn't make a lot of difference either way.

Teesside, England
4. Re: Where to visit first

Oh, that's great. I now know we can easily visit those two places en-route to our overnight stop in Burlington.

Thank you!

NC
5. Re: Where to visit first

Absolutely! Your plan must be to go up 85 and 95 to get to Richmond. I have driven that many times (smile).

You will probably like Burlington a little better than Gboro. Not as crowded, but still has a lot to offer on hotel/restaurant choices.

PS---check the gas prices in the Burlington area too. Gas prices in that area tend to be a little less and can help you save a few bucks!

Have a wonderful trip!!

Teesside, England
6. Re: Where to visit first

Thanks.

Looking at my map it looks as though the journey from Burlington to Richmond will be a straight drive, would you say the drive up 85 & 95 would take about 3 hours?

There doesn't look to be anywhere interesting en-route to stop for . . . . . unless you can suggest somewhere.

We plan for 2 nights in Richmond, my wife wants to visit the Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens there.

NC
7. Re: Where to visit first

Yes, 3 hours is a good estimate, then adding any time for stopping (gas, meals, stretch breaks). I will add that traffic can be horrific on 95, so just be prepared for any kind of traffic jams.

There isn't anything interesting between Burlington & Richmond, but it is a good drive all the way up 85. 95 will be good too as long as there aren't any traffic problems. Once you get north of Durham, there isn't much of anything until you get to Richmond. I will say that if you haven't had lunch by the time you get to South Hill, VA, I would stop there and grab a bite to eat. You won't have many more chances between South Hill & Richmond.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
8. Re: Where to visit first

I currently work in Burlington. The gas prices here are cheaper, but you have to get back off 95 for the lower prices.

I stayed in a hotel here my first week of work. The Econo-Lodge was fine, but I would have enjoyed the O. Henry in Greensboro MUCH more ; )

Teesside, England
9. Re: Where to visit first

Thanks jenmaybe - We will probably leave Burlington just after breakfast, say around 9.30, on a Tuesday morning. I will have a full tank before we leave and I guess we will only stop for a stretch break to include a bite to eat then. So, all being well, we could be in Richmond early afternoon.

NC
10. Re: Where to visit first

Shankle---did you mean 85? 95 does not run through Burlington.

Yes, you do have to get off the interstate to get the gas, so I'm not sure I understand your message.

Reply to: Where to visit first
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted