We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and more

Which Winston Salem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, Virginia
reviews: 8
Shopping and more

My daughters and I are possibly going to be dress shopping in WS in late March. We could make it a day trip, but I would prefer to spend at least one night, maybe the weekend. Of course, her preference is to shop Hanes Mall. So, I'm looking for suggestion for a decent place to stay near the Mall, doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and easy to get to. Also, I would like to find other places to shop that aren't chains. Same for restaurants. I don't do chains when we travel. My girls will be 14 and 11, so there won't be any nightlife. Just looking for good food that isn't too expensive, and I can find it. :-) I've never been to WS before so navigation needs to be fairly easy, I don't have a gps. (But I can read a map)

If my husband comes along, he loves thrift and antique stores also.

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
reviews: 28
1. Re: Shopping and more

There are plenty of hotel options near Hanes Mall--Days Inn, Hampton, Quality Inn, and a number of others. Go to google maps, enter "Hanes Mall Shopping Center", then click on "search nearby" and enter "hotels". You'll find lots of them.

You'll also find plenty of good restaurant choices in the area. On Stratford Rd., which runs next to the mall, consider Milner's, Athena Greek Tavern, Five Points, Hero House, or Cities. On or near Hanes Mall Blvd, there's the Village Tavern, Jimmy's Seafood, and Elizabeth's Pizza. Google for menus and directions.

Sorry I can't help with the dress shopping--I'm a guy. ;)

For your husband, though, he might like the Antique Mall at Marketplace Mall on Peter's Creek Parkway, just one exit east of Hanes Mall off I-40. It's a consignment mall with lots of different vendors. Great place to wander around for a while, and there are some good deals to be found. Again, google for directions.

Hope this helps!

Bristol, Virginia
reviews: 8
2. Re: Shopping and more

Thanks so much, this helps a lot. The Antique Mall sounds great. I'm sure my daughter can handle the dress shopping at the mall. :-)

Greensboro, North...
reviews: 68
3. Re: Shopping and more

Hanes Mall is in a great location and has a lot of hotels around. Cache has some nice dresses depending on the time of year and is inside the mall, although it is a chain. There are a few boutiques in Winston-Salem (Mainstream Boutique, Stella Rose Boutique, Wild Flower Boutique, and Gusto) depending on the type of dress you are looking for, but I haven’t been in a while so I’m not sure of the current selection. As far as eating I really like Village Tavern which is on the corner of Stratford Rd and Hanes Mall Road for a nice placer or Stratford Station Grill which is more of a mom and pop/family dining setting. For your husband I would recommend the Antique Mall across the street from Marketplace mall. They have everything from antiques to furniture. If he is willing to drive about 20 minutes into Greensboro let me know. My husband is an antique and coin fanatic as well so I can recommend some places there too.

NC
reviews: 104
4. Re: Shopping and more

I live in Winston-Salem, so feel free to message me directly with questions on any specifics.

The Days Inn by the mall is a no-go. It was so run down and they finally closed it. We do have several new hotels on Hanes Mall Blvd, just a little under 1 mile from the mall, which is what I would recommend. They are in within walking distance to several fantastic eating places like Brixx Pizza (our favorite pizza place in WS), Firebirds Grill and a couple of other places.

Hilton Garden Inn Winston-Salem/Hanes Mall

Comfort Suites Hanes Mall

Springhill Suites by Marriott Winston-Salem Hanes Mall

www.firebirdsrestaurants.com

http://brixxpizza.com/

I would cross Milner's off your list. They are a more pricey restaurant, but they are one of our favorites here in WS. May not be what you're looking for. Cities is another great choice, but again, a little pricey. If you stay in one of these hotels, you will have a number of restaurants to choose from right there in the area.

5. Re: Shopping and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, February 21, 2014