We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading South- relocating

Which Wilmington hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfax, VA
reviews: 1
Heading South- relocating

I have to leave this rat race of people in the DC metro area. My husband and I, along with our 18 month old son, are looking at Wilmington as the spot to move to. Any advice? How are the school? Is crime as bad as I read? Jobs? How bad are the hurricanes? Do you like it there? Recommend a certain town near Wilmington to love? Family/Kid friendly area there?

WV
1. Re: Heading South- relocating

I am moving there in January, but I can tell you I've been there twice and it will be a great place to live. I've done a little research on the schools down there and I think they are terrific. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the crime rate. All cities have some sort of crime. That hasn't factored into my decision at all to move there. I'm not being rude when I say this, but you live in D.C. How worse could it get? I have family that lives down there and they've been there since 1990. It's close to the coast so yes they do have hurricanes. That is another factor that is not influencing my decision at all to move there. The hurricanes that come ashore there are nowhere near what Florida gets. Wilmington, although not very far, is not directly on the coast so I can't see a lot of damage occuring. Now if you live in Carolina Beach, you'll probably have to evacuate a lot. I'm sticking to Wilmington, hopefully southern Wilmington. I feel that it is a huge family/kid friendly area. I don't really have any towns to recommend. I have some areas in my mind that I want live in, but I'm still undecided. I absolutely love the area! Hopefully will be attending UNCW next fall. Hope this helps.

Raleigh, NC
reviews: 3
2. Re: Heading South- relocating

Yes, the hurricanes here in North Carolina are just as bad as in Florida. Wilmington is at the coast and you will have damage if a hurricane comes ashore. I live 130 miles from the coast, and Raleigh had serious damage and flooding from Fran in 1996. The Baltimore-DC area had damage from Hurricane Isabel in 2003 and it is far from the coast.

I would stay away from the outskirts of downtown (e.g. Wooster and Dawson Streets).

WV
3. Re: Heading South- relocating

I knew I would have to defend my response. When I said as not being as bad as Florida, I meant the number of hurricanes. Florida sticks out like a sore thumb in the ocean. Yes some damage will occur. It's a hurricane! I was just stating that Wilmington isn't directly on the coast, like say, Carolina Beach. Rain is part of a hurricane, yes, but I'm not going to let the chance of being hit by hurricanes stop me from moving to Wilmington.

Wake Forest, nc
4. Re: Heading South- relocating

Wilmington is great !!!!

Have you looked at the Southport area? The Brunswick County beaches are beatiful.. you aren't very far at all from the SC line and North Myrtle Beach.

Wilmington is in New Hanover County.

Nassau County, New...
5. Re: Heading South- relocating

Is the realestate very expensive?

WV
6. Re: Heading South- relocating

Near the water it is. Other than that, I would say it isn't overly expensive.

Charleston, SC
7. Re: Heading South- relocating

For those who think Wilmington isn't on the coast you better get out your map. Wilmington IS very much on the coast AND it sticks out like a sore thumb! Hurricanes don't just stop on the beach front and then make a U-turn, they come inland. Oh and it isn't just a "little bit of rain" either. If you think living a measly 10-15 miles inland is going to save you, you are dead wrong. The two hardest-hit counties were Pitt and Edgecombe, which lay side by side to the east of North Carolina's capital, Raleigh. Again, look on your map!

Wilmington faired pretty well during Floyd while the inland areas got creamed. Many people lost their homes to flooding. Not trying to be snippy but I can't sit back and watch someone give out wrong information due to a false sense of security. I went through 6 hurricanes in Wilmington. I traveled along highway 74/76 from Raleigh after Floyd and I saw the damage with my own eyes. It took us 3 days before we could get back home because of the flooding and we could not take I-40 back. It was flooded. Don't even get me started on the damage from hurricanes Bertha and Fran either.

Someone needs to do a search on hurricanes in Wilmington and read up on their facts. Oh and hurricanes don't stop at a certain state either, they keep moving. It is very possible for a hurricane to hit Florida and then hit North Carolina. Hurricane Charley is an example. Here: www.hurricanecity.com/city/wilmington.htm

Read up!

Nassau County, New...
8. Re: Heading South- relocating

Okay now, don't everybody reply at once. Like I stated before, I was wondering about the real-estate. I am coming from NY and love the beach, but the houses there in Wilmington looked small for the big price tags on them. Any suggestions as far as location in or near Wilmington with a "not so big price tag"? Also, what drives Wilmington economically? Would it be had to find work there? Is it a very small town? (PS: I am currently looking at homes in the Mecklenberg & Union County areas.)

Charleston, SC
9. Re: Heading South- relocating

Brunswick County will give you more home for the money and it is just a drive across the bridge into Wilmington. Tourism is one thing that drives Wilmiington economically. The health care field is another. Depends on what kind of work you are looking for. Most people that come here don't come here without a job first, let's just put it that way.

Wilmington used to be a small town but in the last 10-15 years it has experienced a lot of growing pains and a population explosion. What used to be empty land with grazing horses has now become a mall and condos. Very little land exists anymore and due to poor road planning the traffic can be very frustrating especially during tourist season. If you do buy in Wilmington be very careful. To make up for the poor road system they like to divert traffic into neighborhoods making them become cut-thrus. They have even flat out admitted that they do this intentionally to ease traffic off the main arteries. This happened to us and it could effect your property value. Buyer beware!

WV
10. Re: Heading South- relocating

OK. I'm going to respond again about my first post. I stated that the state of Florida gets hit by more hurricanes than N.C. and most likely gets hit by more powerful hurricanes. Here's a link I think you need to read. This is from the UNC Press!! Here's a quote and here's the link....

"Vulnerable to storms that arise in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico, Florida has been hit by far more hurricanes than any other state."

http://uncpress.unc.edu/books/T-1435.html

Get answers to your questions about Wilmington