We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some details!

Which Waynesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brunson
reviews: 2
Need some details!

I would like to go to Cataloochee and need some details that are helpful. Being that I-40 is closed we have decided to go Hwy 19 through Maggie Valley and Cherokee and proceed on 441 through the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. I have read a lot about Cataloochee and heard good and bad, since I will be detouring I would like to make the stop. I 'assume' hwy 276 would get me close? Any details and directions would be great.

Columbus OH
reviews: 25
1. Re: Need some details!

Well Lulu, Cataloochee is well worth the drive to get there.

If you are coming from the East I-40 is open to the Rte 276 exit (#20). From I-40 (exit 20) and 276 take Cove Creek Rd West and follow the signs to Cataloochee. This is a fairly well maintained partially paved, partially gravel mountain road. It will be slow going most of the way.

We were back there just this past Tuesday and it was spectacular. The elk were out and about and the wild turkey were everywhere. Don't expect to see many other visitors, but if you come across one of the volunteers stop and talk with them for a while.

Plan on spending at least 3-4 hours getting in and out of the valley and exploring while you are there. After you get back to Rte 276 just head South to Rte 19 and turn right to enter Maggie Valley.

Enjoy your visit.

2. Re: Need some details!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 30, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Waynesville