We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ammon's Drive in & Dairy Bar

Which Waynesville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Ammon's Drive in & Dairy Bar

My experience at Ammon's on March 11, 2007 was horrible to say the least. My husband goes there for the banana splits which he loves. My son and I ordered burgers. My son's burger was big, beautiful and hot. Mine was small and very cold. The burger was wet and wet the bun under it , but it was piled high with shredded lettuce, pickles and thousand island dressing. It took three bites to get to meat and the cold hurt my teeth. I called the waitress over and told her that it was extremely cold and she said she could reheat it. I ask what about the lettuce and dressing on it wouldn't it make it slimy, that I was afraid of a reheat, her response was well and she walked off. Never to return to our table for anything, no refills nothing.

Upon leaving the waitress stood behind the cashier and when the cashier ask how was my dinner I explained that my burger was to cold to eat. She smiled and shook her head yes, but never looked up because the waitress was right there by her side. When she gave me my change I took it and the waitress was glaring at me and I reached over and handed her a penny. I told her if she heated it up it may look better. I turned to walk out the door and half way there I felt something hit me in the back and clip my lower left ear lobe. When I heard it hit the floor two tables over I saw it was the penny. I picked it up and walked back to her and ask her what would she have done if I had thrown the cold burger and hit her in the back with it? At that time she began to holler and cuss telling me never to come back into the resturant adding me, my family, my friends never to -----come back, to just get out.

I asked for the manager and my husband ask did he normally let his waitress act like that. He said well no, but she did offer to heat up the burger. I said sir would it have been safe to heat it up piled with lettuce and sauce. Would you have eaten it. He said well you could have brought it back to the kitchen and I would have made you another one. I told him I was not given that option. Another woman walks out and tell us to "go on." "There are church people in here that don't need to hear this." I said ma'am your right, I am a church person, because if I wasn't I would have been acting like your waitress did.

The manager walks over to the register pulls out $2.00 and as he walks by shoves it into my husbands chest. We were both stunned and at a loss for words. I said I don't won't the money I would like an apology, the woman so go on get out of here. She treated us as if we were homeless begging. I was crushed. How could people treat people this way? Little back ground on me I am a grandmother of 8 and a greatgrandmother of one.

We have friends and family in Maggie Valley and sourrounding areas and go up at least once a month. We have never been up that we have not gone to Ammon's because my husband loves their banana split. We have taken in 17 people that live there that have never been into Ammon's for ice cream or anything. But, my husband loved to sell them on the Ice Cream, he is an ice cream addict I must say.

So, there goes our family tradition. Simply because I was hungry and not understanding how hard it is to get a hot burger.

So Mr. Charlie if you read this, I still don't understand, I'm sorry I just don't get it. I didn't do anything in front of church people your waitress did.

Eden, GA
1. Re: Ammon's Drive in & Dairy Bar

Wow, I read what you had wrote with my mouth dropped. We are planning on coming to Maggie Valley for a week and have heard about this place. We will have about 9 in our group. I will stear clear of this place also. That's really a shame to hear that you were treated so badly. I tell everyone how nice the people are while we're up there.

Oh well...thanks for the heads up!

guestservices1
reviews: 3
2. Re: Ammon's Drive in & Dairy Bar

Well I am shocked too...I have been to Ammons for 28 years and never had anything like this happen...but I most suggest, stay in your car - go for the curb service. As far as the waitress goes, she probably did know how to act to someone that was upset, most people that visit there are locals & if something is wrong, you yell for Charlie and he fixes it. You have to remember you get what you pay for, Ammons is a value and 99.9% of the time it is excellent. They have survived for over 50 years because the average person can get a huge amount of food under $3.00. I beg you to give them another try, stay in your car and order a Hot Fudge Cake, yummy yum. Thanks for visiting WNC!

NC
reviews: 1
3. Re: Ammon's Drive in & Dairy Bar

I think I see problems all the way around on this one. Sounds like a personality conflict.

4. Re: Ammon's Drive in & Dairy Bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Waynesville