We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
reviews: 60
Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

While on vacation I like to peek at the local shops... we all need to get out of the sand and sun for a break at times don't we?

While I do like to avoid the chain shops, I have been caught in Shark Attacks and Wings on occasion, for cheap floaties, t's and trinkets. But my favorite thing to do are to go to the local shops to see what unique things they have to offer.

Mia's in Surf City was my favorite, but she closed shop about a year ago, I believe to spend time with her Grandchildren. So I am on the lookout for a new shop.

I know that Docksiders in Surf City is nice, I spent an afternoon there lately with my grandson and nephews. Half of the place is very kid friendly, games, books, toys, with an arcade attached. On the far end more breakable items, clothing and jewlery. Reasonable prices.

Topsail Trading Company is also very nice, of course great fudge. But I haven't bought anything but fudge in there in a year or so.

The Shoppe Across the Street, located across the street from the Riverview in Sneads Ferry is also a quaint little shop. The only shop I know of down in that area.

The Turtle Store-Sneads Ferry

St. Regis had a store that was packed from walls to ceilings from everything from fine china to fake cigarettes.

The IGA in Surf City also has a gift shop.

So what's your favorite shop? Any bargins out there? Anything you must have? Please share.

PA
reviews: 16
1. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

I haven't been there yet, but I will take your suggetions under advisement when the girls and I go out for the day.

Thanks Donna and congrats on your expert status!

Topsail Island, NC
reviews: 33
2. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

Shamefully, I have not visited all of the gift shops in the area.

But I do have to say, of the ones I have visited, there hasn't been a bad one in the bunch.

I agree that Docksiders is great, that's where I often buy Christmas presents; I like the Topsail Trading Company; and the Shoppe Across the Street is cool, there's a couple prints there I would like to buy.

The Gift Basket and Island Treasures, as well as Quartermoon Bookstore, in Topsail Beach are very nice, too.

There are many in Surf City that I haven't gotten to yet, including Unburied Treasure, Bumblebee Market and Starfish Designs, to name a few.

Hopefully later in the season when I slow down a bit, I'll get the chance to visit more of the local merchants.

Topsail Island
reviews: 4
3. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

I guess that one cant have enough Obscene T-Shirts,Pickled Alligator heads in jars,Jesus Nightlights in Shells and Boogie Boards that last a week.The shopping here leave something to be desired.

If I do need a card or a Gift I give my money to the local IGA,At least it stays in the Country.

Topsail Island, NC
4. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

The cool part about the shops in the Topsail area is that there is something for everyone. There is places to get cheap t-shirts and souvenirs, as well as upscale shops selling high quality jewelry, clothes, gifts and art. And then there are the places in between.

What a great place to live or visit.

Topsail Island, NC
5. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

I stopped in at Bumblebee Market the other day.

It's a cute shop with a lot of gourmet sweets and treats as well as gifts and collectibles. It's a nice place but I didn't buy anything.

Topsail Island
reviews: 4
6. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

Kind of high Huh?I will give them till the end of Summer.I never see anybody walking out with something.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
7. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

I went to the Turtle Factory today in Sneads Ferry. It is located at the four corners right next to the Hess station. What a nice little shop!

The two ladies that were in there were very friendly and helpful, but not at all pushy. They have turtles everywhere! Turtle stools (home made), lamps, prints, pictures, rugs, candle holders, carvings, jewlery, stickers, toys and more. But they do offer more than just turtle things.

They also have a wide selection of homemade beads and jewlery, a lot of pretty silver chains and charms that are very unique. Even a table where you can make(bead) your own bracelet, ankle bracelet or whatever you want. Or you can purchase one already made. From turtle nic-nacks to jewlery to stepping stones and fountains for your garden, I'd say it is a must stop.

Everyone in our group found things to buy, and we even returned minutes later for more. The prices are very reasonable, a lot of the things in the shop you wont find anywhere else.

I hope to return before we leave.

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
8. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

I am getting many compliments on the shell ball that my husband purchased at the Turtle Shop. I am also regretting not buying the large crab at The Shop Across the Street...Oh well maybe it will still be there the next time!

9. Re: Favorite Shops around Surf City and Topsail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Surf City