We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from quebec city to Gaspé:

Which Gaspe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winter Park, Florida
reviews: 10
from quebec city to Gaspé:

Hi,

we are planning to drive from Quebec city to Gaspé. we love nature, scenic drives, to take pictures.

after read the forums, i have some questions:

1. it worth to drive to Tadoussac and then Forestville e take the ferry to Rimouski? or should i stay from quebec to Rimouski on highway 132? which one is more scenic?

2. after Gaspé, where should we go? the drive around Chaleur Bay to Bathurst it worth?

3. should we drive fast and go visit PEI?

Montreal
reviews: 41
1. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

1- The ideal would be to go one way... and back the other.

It is difficult when we don,t know where you have been... and where you need to be next!

Winter Park, Florida
2. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

thank you, Josee.

i haven't been anywhere in this area. i am flying from florida to quebec city, where we will stay 3 nights.

then the idea is to drive around to see beauty.

if we have time, after go around gaspe, go to eat some oyster at PEI. i am sure if t is doable.

thank you again

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 21
3. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

I'd forget the Tadoussac trip and just focus on doing the Gaspe. getting on the 132 at Montmagni as the autoroute 20 is kinda boring.

Basically just drive the 132 all the way around (Ste Flavie to Ste Flavie)stopping at the many interesting scenic locales, recommend a trip out to the light house at the very end of Parc Forillon, its about an hour hike each way from the end of the road..

Also when you reach Carlton you have the option to take the trans Gaspesian highway (Rt299) back up to Ste Anne Des Monts, very scenic.

All in all you will be totally impressed if not overwhelmed at Gaspe's beauty.

Edited: 6:49 am, June 10, 2013
Montreal, Canada
reviews: 9
4. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

Do you have to return to Quebec City for your return flight?

How long do you have overall for that trip?

At what time of the year?

Edited: 1:36 pm, June 10, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
5. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

Well as others have suggested you could skip the Forestville to Rimouski ferry and actually most of Charlevoix.

As per the rest it dépends on the number of days you are planning for doing the whole Peninsula. So tell us a bit mor about that.

If you intend to go to Tadoussac for whale watching you can also do it from the South Shore. Croisières AML does tours from Rivière du Loup too. So you could drive directly to the South Shore / Lower Saint-Lawrence late one day, stay in Rivière-du-Loup and take the cruise the next morning and head farther in the Peninsula afterward.

There are alos possibilities of doing whale watching cruises from Forillon National Park or from Percé, your chance of sightsee are a bit less than from Tadoussac and you will miss the white belugas but you will see plenty of other marine animals too.

Winter Park, Florida
6. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

merci bien, Jim! I appreciated.

Winter Park, Florida
7. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

thank you hoplavie450!

yes, we have to return to quebec city. it was a mistake, but now will cost a lot to change it.

we have 8 days from AUGUST 25 to SEPT 1st. (our flight back is sept 2nd in the morning).

the idea was to drive slow around the peninsula and then, if it doable, go spend 1 day at prince edward island.

and then, i understand i will need 1 1/2 day to get back to quebec city, maybe spend a night somewhere btw PEI e quebec city.

merci bien!

Winter Park, Florida
8. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

hi rickb,

thank you!

about going to tadoussac, i just thought it could be beautiful the other side. i didn't really think about to go on a whale watching cruise.

so, if the gaspé peninsula is enough, i will drop tadoussac and stay arond there.

merci bien!

best,

Lilia

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
reviews: 54
9. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

The Gaspé peninsula would probably be enough. Is is done as a week trip by a lot of travelers from Montréal or Québec City.

Don't think of going to NS though, really a lot of driving for just a few oysters that you will be able to get in Québec City since September is the start of the big oyster season and many restaurants offers them as seasonal specials.

OK now with 8 days you could actually do Charlevoix in one day, visit Baie-Saint Paul and La Malbaie, drive the coastal road between both, may be take the cruise in Parc des Hautes Gorges de la Rivière Malbaie or do some trekking around and finally sleep in or near Saint-Siméon (Aug 25). You can think of a whale cruise from that village too or just take the ferry to cross the Saint-Lawrence estuary. Note that this is not one of the government owned ferry, look at: http://traverserdl.com/english/home

Then you could take two days to drive all the way to Percé (Aug 26 and 27), 3 days in that village (Aug 28, 29 and 30) back by the Chaleurs side with visits during the drive and take the Matapédia Valley (still the same route 132) and one more sleep somewhere en route (Aug 31) and back to Québec city on Sept 1 by the south shore of the Saint-Lawrence.

That way you will see new scenery almost all the time except between Mont-Joli and Rivière-du-Loup.

Here's the direct link to the Gaspésie touristic region on Bonjour Québec, the official website of our Ministry of Tourism: www.bonjourquebec.com/us-en/gaspesie0.html . Everything is listed there for accomodations, attractions, restaurants, etc.

Note that you should also consult the pages for the Charlevoix area (if you want to do my suggestion) and then also the Bas-Saint Laurent as you will drive through these areas too.

Edited: 7:53 pm, June 10, 2013
Montreal
10. Re: from quebec city to Gaspé:

Hi Lilia,

I like Rickb's suggestion. If you like hiking, I would exchange one of the 3 days in Perce for a day of hiking in the Gite du Mont Albert park on your way to Perce. The Mont Jacques-Cartier is awesome and you may see some caribous on top of the second highest peak in Quebec. Watch out for your departure time... you have to start the trail between 10am and noon since it's a one day hike.

http://www.sepaq.com/pq/gma

At Perce, plan almost a whole day for the Bonaventure Island tour. There's a few trails on the island that will give you time to take a lot of pictures.

Have a nice vacation in Quebec!

Steph