We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milos or Sifnos?

Which Milos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milos or Sifnos?

I need help in deciding which island to visit next June 2012, Milos or Sifnos!  We will be coming from the USA and am traveling with husband and 5 year old.. We will have 7 to 10 days, we enjoy quiet small islands with very little tourism, hoping to see some pretty traditional Greek villages in pretty countryside, we like to find quiet out of the way beaches, plus see some ancient ruins. We will hire a car. I have read many forums and both islands sound wonderful and fulfill what we are looking for, but want to choose just one so to see the island properly...  Can anyone help me decide?  

London, United...
reviews: 263
11. Re: Milos or Sifnos?

Definitely Sifnos - it's pretty, quiet and lovely! We preferred it to Milos by miles!

Komotini, Greece
reviews: 45
12. Re: Milos or Sifnos?

I've been to both... hard to pick a preference... Milos has the geological wow factor for sure, and I prefer the beaches on Milos. Absolutely agree with Andreas that the western half of the island is spectacular, in no way off limits to tourists if you are willing to rent a decent car. If you don't want to visit both, Milos offers the advantage of being extremely close to Kimolos and you can very easily spend a few days on Kimolos for a more tourist-free environment (Kimolos also has amazing geology and the town is stunning!). They're both lovely islands... you won't regret a visit to either.

13. Re: Milos or Sifnos?

Hi Karen, Redheaded, millsforlovers and others..thank you all for you help, feedback and photos, both islands sound fab, now thinking we really need to do 5 days on both...Just got to sell it to my husband who's less of a traveler than I... Hope you all enjoy your vacations next year..

Ottawa
reviews: 32
14. Re: Milos or Sifnos?

Have a wonderful time!!!! Please return with a trip report. We would so love to hear about it.

Karen

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 21
15. Re: Milos or Sifnos?

Chewy - you can do it! We've only been doing driving vacations as we've been going places that we could take our dogs, and my husband isn't much of a traveller either. This is our first air trip in YEARS. But Greece is so beautiful I managed to talk him into 3 separate islands as well as time in Athens. Good luck :-)

Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
reviews: 4
16. Re: Milos or Sifnos?

@RedHeaded…

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40097076

That's a photo of the settlement of Embourios, within the bay of Milos, taken from a distance. Embourios used to be a trading spot used by pirates centuries ago, and is a tiny settlement, with just a few syrmata (boathouse) dwellings, and a taverna.

Embourios is a great getaway spot, and a perfect last stop for the day after you've visited the Milos west coast. There is even a 2-storey "syrma" for rent by the week, called "Palirroia" right on the water, perfect for a small family, ideal for those with a 4X4 and/or a boat.

Andreas

Edited: 2:51 am, September 18, 2011
Milos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Milos
reviews: 4
17. Re: Milos or Sifnos?

There is another photo from inside Palirroia (depicting the bedroom on the upper floor) for those who might be interested:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40075828

When visiting the photo-pages of panoramio.com, do not forget to click on each photo to expand it to fill your entire screen. In most cases, the photos can be expanded even further for an even more detailed view.

Andreas

18. Re: Milos or Sifnos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, October 21, 2012