We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic 1 day trek in the High Atlas?

Which Ouirgane hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford, United...
reviews: 6
Scenic 1 day trek in the High Atlas?

Hello everybody,

I have a week's holiday in Morocco booked for mid-March and was thinking of spending it thus:

Days 1-2: Marrakech

Days 3-4: High Atlas/Foothills

Days 5-6: Essaouira

Day 7: Marrakech

While I would be interested in any comments on the general itinerary, I am mainly trying to decide upon the route for a day's walking in the mountains. I am conscious that the day after this walk I plan to travel to the Essaouira on the West coast so perhaps I should try to stick to the West Atlas so I don't have too far to get to the coast the following day.

I much prefer travelling from A to B rather than in a circle so please bear this in mind with any suggestions.

One route I thought looked good was Ouirgane - Amizmiz but I don't know if this is achievable in just one day, nor how safe it is.

I will be doing the walk with my girlfriend and we are both reasonably fit/determined and won't be carrying too much luggage.

Your input is much appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
1. Re: Scenic 1 day trek in the High Atlas?

Ouirgane to Amizmiz (pronounced respectively Wir'gan and Ams'miz) is safe. Probably about 20-24km depending on route so it all depends what time in the morning you'll set out.

Oxford, United...
2. Re: Scenic 1 day trek in the High Atlas?

Thanks for your reply, Tim.

I think that might be a bit far to be honest - while I think we could manage it I don't want to risk it.

Do you know of any other routes which might be suitable bearing in mind we'll be coming from Marrakech and going to Essaouira the following day?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
reviews: 36
3. Re: Scenic 1 day trek in the High Atlas?

Again, you will need to rise early, as Marrakech is not particularly near good walking areas. Get a grand taxi from Marrakech to Asni (check your guide book for how to do this, or try using the search facility here).

morocco-knowledgebase.net/photos/asni-oukaim…

In Asni (top left hand corner of above map), get a taxi to take you through Imlil (follow yellow road to bottom middle of map) and then over the Tizi n'Tamatert and down the next valley. The 16th photo of post #13 of morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/… (entitled view into next valley) shows the view from the Tizi. You are headed for the track in the middle of this photo, going right to left. It's the green track on the above map.

It's a very gradual descent following the fall of the valley and after about 10km you join a tarmac road (purple), carry on to Asni and get a taxi back home.

Oxford, United...
4. Re: Scenic 1 day trek in the High Atlas?

Sorry Tim maybe I wasn't clear that I plan to stay the night in the mountains.

What I might do is get an early bus from Marrakech to Asni and a bus on to Ouirgane. Have a look around for an hour or so then get a taxi half way to Amizmiz and walk the rest of the way. Then spend the night in Amizmiz..

I can't find any info about travelling from Amizmiz to Essaouira, do you think it will have to be a taxi?

Thanks!

Reply to: Scenic 1 day trek in the High Atlas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ouirgane