We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College trip to NC

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
College trip to NC

We are flying into Raleigh-Durham to see UNC Chapel Hill, Elon, Wake Forest and Davidson in that order. Is there a central place to stay or are they too far apart?

North Carolina
reviews: 23
1. Re: College trip to NC

It depends on what order you visit the schools. Greensboro is one option. Are you skipping Duke?

Edited: 8:05 pm, February 17, 2012
Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
reviews: 27
2. Re: College trip to NC

How many days you planning to be in NC? Are you planning a day for each campus? Chapel Hill and Davidson are 2.5 hours apart, and can take much longer depending on I-85 traffic. A number of times it's taken me 4 hours or so to make that trip...especially with all the current construction. After arriving at RDU I'd stay in Chapel Hill area for UNC and maybe Elon. After visiting Elon move on to down I-85 toward Winston Salem. You'd be doing a lot of back-tracking and highway driving if you try to stay in only one location for all 4 campuses. If you post your schedule by days, we can probably help you develop a plan to minimize your time in a car. .

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 13
3. Re: College trip to NC

Too far apart.

Davidson is near Charlotte which is about 2.5 hrs from Chapel Hill. I mean, you _could_ do it, but I think you'd have more fun if you didn't.

For UNC and Elon I would stay in Chapel Hill so you get a feel for the town. Elon doesn't have as much of a college town atmosphere, but Chapel Hill is a classic college town and a big part of the feel of the university.

Wake would be about an 1.5 hrs from Chapel Hill or Davidson so it's more doable as a day trip from another city, but you're looking at a 3 hr round trip. How much time are you planning to spend at each college? If you're allotting a day for each I'd spend the night in that city, but if you're trying to squeeze in more than one a day you might spend the night in one town (say Winston for Wake in the morning) and then go to Davidson in the afternoon and stay in Davidson or Cornelius or Charlotte.

If you can swing spending a night in Chapel Hill, a night in Winston-Salem, and a night in Davidson or Cornelius that's what I would do. I think Elon would be easy to visit from Chapel Hill en-route to Winston and you wouldn't have to spend a night there. It's about halfway between Chapel Hill and Winston-Salem so about 45 minutes from either city.

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 158
4. Re: College trip to NC

My choice would be Chapel Hill - not knowing your budget, you may also look at previous (somewhat similar) forums:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g49463-i621-k512…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g48990-i5227-k1290…

US
reviews: 70
5. Re: College trip to NC

Personally, I think you would enjoy yourselves more and you would get a better feel for the schools and the areas if you stayed in each town. You also would spend a lot less time driving!

Have a great visit in North Carolina!

6. Re: College trip to NC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, June 02, 2013