We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raleigh-school tour

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 27
Raleigh-school tour

Hi. We are planning a trip to North Carollina to look at colleges over Easter break. Looking at UNC, Duke and Wake Forest. Would like suggestions for a nice central place to make our base of operations. Need a dog friendly property (travel with a well behaved lab). Wanted something special, to make Easter holiday nice too. Thinking possibly of a rental - looks as though there is a lake area west of Raleigh - any input re that area? Thanks! A very harried mom!!!

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 14
1. Re: Raleigh-school tour

It doesn't sound like you're going to Raleigh at all. I'm confused?

UNC is in Chapel Hill. Duke is in Durham. And Wake Forest is in Winston-Salem.

Are you planning to visit NC State or any of the other colleges and universities in Raleigh? There are at least 3 others. Otherwise saying "Raleigh schools" when you mean the others is like saying "Philadelphia schools" when you mean Scranton, or something. Well, probably not that bad, but Raleigh is east of all three schools you mentioned, so if you stayed there you would be adding at least a half-hour travel time to any of your destinations.

Winston-Salem is about 1.5 hrs from Chapel Hill or Durham and about 2 hrs from Raleigh. Burlington or Greensboro would probably be the most central location to the three, but I'd opt for staying in Chapel Hill or Durham. You'll find lots of good restaurants and lots of things to do in either location and UNC is about 20 minutes from Duke, so lodging close to either one would work for the other.

As far as the lake, I guess you're talking about Jordan Lake. It's mainly a state park area (www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/jord/main.php). There may be some homes to rent by owner, but there aren't many (if any) homes right on the water. Maybe there are some with a view of the lake? When you drive out there you really don't see many.

I'd pick staying in Chapel Hill or Durham, personally. Jordan Lake is very pretty, but it's about 20-25 minutes from Duke and UNC and about 1.75 hrs from Winston-Salem.

I don't know about by the week rental properties in the area, but I imagine there are some by owner, or possibly thru the universities. You might try contacting the schools. There are many nice hotels in the area. Some dog-friendly hotels, too.

Edited: 9:33 am, January 27, 2012
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Raleigh-school tour

I agree, there is probably not a central location to visit those 3 schools conveniently. Wake Forest is just too far to make a comfortable day long trip. For special, (and rural) you can't be Fearrington, though I seriously doubt they welcome dogs. Carolina Inn or Washington Duke Inn would be special and convenient to UNC and Duke, but I don't know if Carolina Inn welcomes dogs. I think I would plan to spend at least one night in Winston-Salem for WFU. For special there, try Graylyn (again I don't know their policy on dogs). Good luck.

Edited: 10:15 am, January 27, 2012
Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
3. Re: Raleigh-school tour

RI usually take dogs. This one has good reviews, last one Jan. 25.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49021-d621917-…

I think Chapel Hill would be a good base....

Also check:

bringfido.com/lodging/city/chapel_hill_nc_us/

petvacations.com/Chapel-Hill-pet-friendly-ho…

Edited: 10:39 am, January 27, 2012
Pennsylvania
4. Re: Raleigh-school tour

Thanks - didn't mean to be all over the place - Raleigh just seemed like the area most likely to have the most dog friendly choices. Found a great spot in Durham, so we are all set. Thanks again for your advice.

Chapel Hill, North...
reviews: 14
5. Re: Raleigh-school tour

Sounds like a good choice. Hope you have a great trip.

Pennsylvania
6. Re: Raleigh-school tour

Sophie0811: Thank you for the link for petvacations.com. Will be helpful in future.

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
7. Re: Raleigh-school tour

You're welcome. Have a great trip! All 3 universities are great!

8. Re: Raleigh-school tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, April 15, 2013