We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 4
We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

My husband and I love trains. We are going to travel next Friday

Nov. 18 from Charlotte to Raleigh by train to visit the art museum. Once we get to the Raleigh train station is there transportaion, bus, taxies, shuttle etc. to get us to a hotel? If anyone can suggest a nice ( 3-4 star) hotel in the area.

Thanks in advance.

GB

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 12
1. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

I hope somebody will come through with a better option but my guess is that you will have to take a cab.

There is a Ramada Inn on Blue ridge Road which is actually within walking distance of the Art Museum, weather permitting, and which has a good restaurant as far as motels go. It is also within walking distance of the State Fairgrounds where there is a big flea market on weekends and usually some other events.

When I say walking, the area is not particularly pedestrian friendly with sidewalks, etc. There is a connection at the museum to the Greenway which is very nice if you just like to walk.

At the Crabtree Mall end of Blue Ridge there are all the major chain motels and some of those could offer some transportation

I have heard good reports on the train and look forward to taking a trip, myself

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 158
2. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

Raleigh does not have Lynx, but there are buses..

Here is the main info. & links.

raleighnc.gov/services/…CATBusRoutes.html

You might consider staying in Sheraton

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g49463-d94717-R… - closer to Amtrak - quite a few other museums, restaurants, etc. & just take a bus or a taxi to the Art Museum...

Heavily discounted on Hotwire, Priceline, etc.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/transit/

North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences , 11 West Jones Street

http://camraleigh.org/

http://www.raleighcitymuseum.org/

Edited: 8:57 am, November 14, 2011
NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
reviews: 33
3. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

Are you coming into the Raleigh or Cary station? There are cabs at both. If you are going directly to the museum, Cary is closer, but staying in Raleigh would give you more things to do. The downtown Marriott is very nice and in the middle of things (restaurants, museums, nightlife, theater, etc....and you can usually find deals if you look. The Sheraton is nice and next door to Marriott, but a little older and I used to have clients who stayed there and complained of slow elevator not hot water, etc. But maybe they have fixed those issues in the latest renovation? The Marriott/Sheraton are only a few blocks to the train station, but you could catch a cab, as it may be a titch far to walk with bags.

Your other "nicer" downtown hotel option would be the Clarion, which is the renovated "round Holiday Inn", but fine and walking distance to Glenwood South restaurants.

There are also tons of nice chain hotels near Crabtree mall and elsewhere, but you couldn't walk to dinner.

Another option, very high end, is the Umstead Hotel. It is near the museum and the Cary train station, but certainly not walkable to either. It is the nicest hotel in the area. You can't walk to anything, but you wouldn't care. Best known in our house for having the best bar snacks in town, as well as an amazing art collection and worth a trip to see the flowers alone.

Charlotte, NC
4. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

I have just realized that you will be in Raleigh the same day as:

Exhibit Opening: At the Speed of the Girl — Celebrating 100 Years of Girl Scouting .. it supposed to be a very interesting exhibit;

Friday, Nov 18 9:00a to 5:00p http://events.triangle.com/raleigh-nc/events/free+music+events+nc

at N.C. Museum of History, Raleigh, NC

American Indian Celebration - Saturday

http://www.raleighcitymuseum.org/

Charlotte, North...
5. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

Thank you everyone for your great answers. I have check all the hotels mentioned above and they are sold out. The Umstead is available but a little to expensive for me. Can anyone suggest another hotel in that area?

The Art Museum is in Cary?

Thanks

GB

Charlotte, NC
6. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

About the same distance from downtown Cary & dowtown Raleigh. 2110 Blue Ridge Rd. Hotels fully booked? Perhaps because of scouting groups visiting the new exhibition? I prefer Cary's Railway Stn. - small, clean + closeby is Klara Restaurant (Czech) that I like. But not that great bus service, so you would have to take taxis... There must be a downtown hotel in Raleigh that has vacancies...I hope.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
7. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

I'm only guessing it has more to do with football than Girl Scouts:

www.alumni.ncsu.edu/s/1209/index.aspx…

It's NC State Homecoming.

Charlotte, NC
8. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

very likely ;)

Charlotte, North...
9. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

Thanks everyone, I changed the weekend to Dec.5, 2011. I was able to reserve the downtown Marriott. I appreciate all your answers. I can't wait for the train ride and seeing the Rembrandt exhibit.

North Carolina
reviews: 18
10. Re: We are taking the train from Charlotte to Raleigh-questions

The exhibit is very good. I do recommend eating in the restaurant (Iris)--it is a jewel of a museum restaurant (sometimes with live music).