We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to be in raleigh on thursday

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aldan, Pennsylvania
reviews: 7
going to be in raleigh on thursday

Ive posted before and have a hotel in crabtree area, homewood suites.... planning on driving from 95 here in PA to there, or maybe take alt route of 13 thru delaware and over chesa. bay bridge etc over to 58 to 95 and on to the hotel.... is there anything going on in the area i need to know about? i know its new yrs eve day we will be arriving, im going to ck weather too. hopefully no storms..... also from homewood suites in crabtree to RBC arena that nite, is there anything i need to know as far as roads or whatever etc??

thanks again

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
1. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

No, just the weather, but it may change. I am in Charlotte, even more south, & they are scarring us with "potential" snow... Unlikely. You can also map your route, Google detours & construction - it would show, unless very recent.

I am not sure what you are doing NYE - but Crabtree Tavern is a place to be:

http://www.crabtreetavern.com/

Aldan, Pennsylvania
2. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

thanks.... we are coming to see a carolina hurricanes hockey game at RBC on new yrs eve nite......thats why i was wondering if there was any road construction going on with any of the local highways etc i should know about.. Its going to be in high 30s low 40s thursday and friday i think, so no snow here just rain.... i hate driving in rain on road trips too....ill keep an eye on the weather too....

Raleigh, NC
reviews: 17
3. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

No but don't take 95 all the way down to 40. Go 95 until right after Richmond and then take 85 to US 1. My husband is from PA and it will take about an hour 1/2 off your trip instead of going all the way down 95 and hitting 40 after you have almost passed Raleigh. There is an ok bar across the street from RBC shouldn't be packed because everyone will be in downtown for NY eve. That's my thoughts.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
4. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

thanks for the info... we wont go to the bar after the game cause we got a 16yr old with us, but thanks for the idea.....

as for not going all the way down 95 to 40...this was the directions i got .. we are staying in crabtree area by the mall... directions were to go from 95 then take 40 east, exit 81 toward raleigh then merge onto I-440 east VIA exit 301, take glenwood ave/US70 west go left onto blue ridge rd, then onto crabtree valley ave to the homewood suites hotel..... if i went onto 85 to US 1, where does that take me in order to get to my hotel??

Raleigh, NC
reviews: 6
5. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

Actually, I travel to DC alot and I would say by far the best way is to take I-95 down to Rocky Mount, then take US 64 West to Raleigh. Pick up I-440 West and take that to the US 70 West (Glenwood Ave) exit for Crabtree Valley.

US 64 recently had a bypass built around Knightdale so it's now an easy multilane highway from Raleigh to I-95....much of it with a 70mph speed limit too! (Much of I-95 below the Virginia line is also 70mph.) Contrast that with US 1, which is 55 mph at best, and much more congested as you approach Raleigh's northern suburbs. I say avoid US 1 at all costs!

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
reviews: 33
6. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

I don't know why they bring you 95 to 40 either. Safer and quicker bets are taking 95 to 85 just after Petersburg. We do that then get off on 1, but 1 can be kinda confusing when you start getting into Raleigh. The second option would be to get off on 64 in Rocky Mount. It is a little less than an hour from there and will dump you right on the 440 beltline that will hit your directions.

I know of no construction you need to know about near RBC, but will tell you that, from Crabtree, you should go out the "back way" towards Blue Ridge. I will try to find you a map link...as it is hard to describe.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
reviews: 33
7. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

Okay, got the info. From Homewood parking lot, go down the hill toward the mall and take a left onto....I think its called Crabtree blvd.... it will take you to Edwards Mill Road/Creedmoor Road (not sure what it is called there). Take a left onto this road. Edwards Mill runs straight into the RBC parking area.

Hopefully, you saw my earlier post that there is a new sports bar/restaurant right next door to Homewood, so you are good for New Years Day.

Also, we recently went to one of the new places at Crabtree, Brio Tuscan Grill, and it was very good and moderately priced.

Aldan, Pennsylvania
8. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

thanks to both of you......Rob thats the way i plan to go. 95-64-440 glenwood/70, it dumps you right there at the hotel..... i was thinking of coming from chesap bay bridge tunnel area to 58, instead of straight down 95 thru MD construction and DC beltways.....may be about 50 miles more, but it wont be so stressful as 95 can be.... its been yrs since i drove from VA beach to that bridge tunnel and on home to PA... not sure what kind of ride driving on route 58 will be, hopefully its a highway type rd and not a 1 or 2 lane street....

VaNC, thats the directions i got to go to RBC. down creedmoor etc and its right there....so that is considered the BACK WAY? haha....Thanks both of you

Aldan, Pennsylvania
9. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

in the event the winter classic game gets chnaged on new yrs day, which is why we wanted to stay another day, to watch it on tv, instead of missing it while driving home....if weather changes things in boston, and game gets changed to next day, we wont go home cause we pd for the room... so what is there we could do in event that happens? 16yr old son wont want to hang around room all day or walk the mall etc.... is there anything interesting about your area or city other then the usual things we see in citys that we could do or see?? we plan to leave here in PA thursday morning early, so ill ck this post thruout the nite before we go.

thanks.... we will be in crabtree area, so dont know how to get to city area or other towns outside of that...thanks!!

10. Re: going to be in raleigh on thursday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 29, 2010