We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

Which Raleigh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Roselle Park, New...
reviews: 29
Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

The further I keep reading the more towns keep popping up for the surrounding areas of Raleiegh, what is the Triangle Park section, Durham, Chapel Hill, Greensboro, and now Cary. Again we will be traveling with 3 kids ages 3, 5, and 15 and currently have a reservation at Hilton Homewood Suites in Raleigh/Crabtree. Which of these towns is better then the other. Im not really looking to go to museums but rather maybe some shopping, kids activities, a motel which is close to dining or walking distance to. Is there anything that has it all that would fit. I dont care to be in total congestion in a downtown setting but to have stores and dining very close would be great. Is there any good place for families. I have just read on one of the messages that Cary had lots of families. Would I be better off here. Again we will probably only stay one or two nights.

NC
reviews: 1
1. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

Homewood at Crabtree is a great hotel - very nice location and across the street from the best mall in the area. It's also near the beltway so you can get around easily. Enjoy.

Roselle Park, New...
2. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

bud41, thanks for your response.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
reviews: 33
3. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

For the "something to do" you are much better off in Raleigh. Homewood is a great hotel, so you are good there. You are also in walking distance from Crabtree Mall, one of the better malls in the area. There is a pretty good italian resturant right next door and the usual places in the mall, including Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Changs. Go north on Glenwood from the mall and you will find many popular chain stores and restaurants. If you are interested in non-chain, more local places, going north on Glenwood, there is a greek place on the right (I forget the name) and the best sushi in the Triangle at Waraji (take Glenwood north to the light at Duraleigh...it will be on your left).

If you are looking for anything other than eating or shopping, what would it be? There are some great museums for your aged kids in the area. The museum of Life and Science in Durham in pretty great and has something for both ends of your age range. Let us know what you want to do.

Roselle Park, New...
4. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

Va NC, ok thanks

I love greek food and Japanese so I will definitely keep those two places in mind. Im not exactly sure what we will be doing. We will be coming from Myrtle Beach after 1 week so at that point Im not sure if we would be tired out so I guess just easy things to do with the kids. Do you think 1 night is enough or do you suggest 2? Also I really had my heart set on the Homewood Suites but also see that the Embassy Suites has an indoor pool whereas HS doesnt so if it were raining at least the kids would have something to do. Do you know anything of the ES.

thanks

Durham, NC
reviews: 24
5. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

FWIW, I'd put Crabtree as the #2 mall in the area. Southpoint in Durham is a better mall.

Lynchburg, VA
reviews: 45
6. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

I think the triangle is actually considered Raleigh, Durham & CH, but Chapel Hill can be a good 30 minute drive from Raleigh depending on traffic on I-40. Durham is north and Cary is more southwest of Raleigh. Oh you also mentioned Greensboro...think it might have been a mistake in another post to tell you it's in the triangle. It's actually about 2 hours from Raleigh. I think your idea of staying in Raleigh is best since it really is in the center of it all. Great restaurants and shopping as listed above. Check out www.crabtree-valley-mall.com and www.streetsatsouthpoint.com for more information on the major shopping malls in Raleigh & Durham. If you would like to see a movie while in the area there is the Raleigh Grande 16 just up the street from your hotel on Grove Barton Road. This movie theater plays the latest releases so you are sure to find something your kids would enjoy.

Roselle Park, New...
7. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

cheshrliz, thank you for the links i will check them out.

NC
reviews: 2
8. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

Cary is by South Raleigh..there really isn't much to do there except there is a really nice hotel called Holiday Inn Express which has activities Mon-Thurs (I think) for the family such as ice cream socials, free massages, etc. The movie theatre is right around the corner in a shopping center that has Target and a bunch of other stores..actually there are three within a 5 minute drive! Lots of eateries from Taco Bell, steakhouses, pizza, Chick-Fil-A (every child's dream!) but more towards Capital Blvd. you should find a hotel off the road a little ways although there isn't much traffic noise to be heard either way. Stay away from Lodge America-I am trying to let everyone know about the horrible time they would have there..horrible! Capital Blvd. is close to Adventure Landing (putt-putt, race carts, arcade, etc.) and lots of food like Cook Out, Ci-Ci's Pizza then down the road is a wonderful NC Barbeque joint called "Barbeque Lodge" in Mini-City on the right which is a few doors down from the ever lovely Casalinga Italian Eatery (best food EVER!) It also has a big mall called Triangle Town Center..I cannot say that I've ever stayed in any of the hotels off of Capital other than Lodge America but there are plenty! Then on New Bern Avenue (which is one exit away off of the beltline or just shoot down one of the sideroads to get to Capital!) and you have tons of hotels like Best Western, Microtel, a whole bunch of nice ones! The hospital is right down the street and there are a lot of eateries and shops there as well! Any questions, just let me know. Personally, RTP (Research Triangle Park) is not for a family..more business people although there is an outlet mall off of Airport Blvd. just take the exit for the airport off the beltline and take that up to the Airport Blvd. exit..make a left off of the exit and you will see it on the right..they have an Off the 5th Saks outlet and a bunch more.

9. Re: Ok very confused - please help with surrounding towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 05, 2009