We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dormie Club Not sure what to think

Which Pinehurst hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brantford ON
Dormie Club Not sure what to think

Heading back to Sandhills area this summer for our father and son golf trip.

This will be our 4th trip to the sandhills area, this year's tentative itinerary includes the Dormie Club.

We are just not sure what to think, we know it was slated to be a private club but that did not work out so it is now open for public play.

I've read that they encourage you to walk the course and take caddies and fore caddies, well we will be there in early July where walking might not be the best options.

I guess what I want to know, is this a place where the 4 of us can just jump our carts and go out and play without taking a map and a compass to find our way around?

And can anyone give me a comparison to any other courses in the area, excluding the Pinehurst Resort courses, never played any of those.

Thanks

13 replies to this topic
Virginia
reviews: 1
1. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

I have a condo in the Pinehurst area, but have never played the Dormie Club. You may want to post something in the Golf Vacation Forum, you'll reach more golfers that way. If you have any more Pinehurst questions, feel free to contact me.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 9
2. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

I have only talked to one person who had played it and he really liked it. I think it would be worth a shot. I feel sure caddies are not required, and may not even be available. I would suggest that you check the weather and, if it is not too hot, give it a try. There aren't too many opportunities to do so around here, and it can be a real treat-especially if you get a good one.

Charleston, South...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

I've played it. It's either the best course in the Pinehurst area or second best behind #2. Except for crossing the 14th tee to get to the 7th it's perfectly clear where the holes go. The course is on a massive property and I can understand why some people might feel lost - there aren't any roads, cart paths or buildings to give you your bearings. The course was designed to be walked. It's a shame most use carts. Playing it on foot is a great experience.

Washington...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

Agree with Pilotman - just finished playing, absolutely epic experience. I would rather play there than #2 any day of the week.

Atlanta
reviews: 43
5. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

We just got back from playing Pine Needles, #2, and Dormie. No question about it, Dormie Club is my favorite course in the state. However, their "no rake" policy really cost me a match. How can a course tell you to smooth out your footprints with your spikes when you leave a bunker? That needs to be changed. Otherwise, a terrific course.

Raleigh, North...
6. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

Great course but walking should be a game time decision. July in Pinehurst can be brutal. I prefer to walk my home course in Raleigh but usually pick up a cart for the back nine that time of year. That could be an option, but don't miss the course

Pinehurst, North...
7. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

Personal opinion...over rated, over priced, poor condition, not a good Coore-Crenshaw experience. I've played it several times and don't have any desire to do it again.I'd much rather play Pine Needles, Mid Pines han Dormie. Having sed all that you shud make up your own mind.

Hingham...
8. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

Playing Dormie is a no brainer. We had an unbelievable experience a few years ago and we are heading back in April. Enjoy it while you can because there is a good chance it will be private again in a year or two. Coore and Crenshaw do not disappoint.

Fairhope, Alabama
reviews: 127
9. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

Played Dormie Club last week. It is a wonderful course. It is not easy. Don't let your pride commit you to the wrong tee boxes. It is NOT walker friendly, unless you are an Army Ranger or a goat. The clubhouse is modest. This place is all about golf: no big restaurant or bar ( cold ham sandwich was okay). This is not a resort place. Still, an excellent golf course.

Raleigh, North...
10. Re: Dormie Club Not sure what to think

Good post. I would be interested in your take on other courses played in the area

Reply to: Dormie Club Not sure what to think
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted