We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prelim work on short golf trip

Which Pinehurst hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Morristown, New...
reviews: 8
Prelim work on short golf trip

Planning a birthday trip and Pinehurst is in the running so i'm just started to get some information together. Trip won't be for 18-24 months but I like to collect info and update it as I go along. It will be 4 guys; playing 3 round of golf. I'd like each guy to have his own bedroom, maybe a 4 bedroom suite.

If covered the who and what. Just working on the where and when.

Im looking to find people that have stayed recently and can offer some insite on the resort and area. Even a little advise on the best time of the year would be a good start.

13 replies to this topic
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 9
1. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

Pinehurst is a great golf destination. If you choose to stay at Pinehurst Resort they have a wide variety of accomodations including condo's to accomodate four. You might also check out the Inn, as well as the Holly Inn and Pinecrest Inn. Wherever you stay, a drink at the Pinecrest is de rigeur.

Pinehurst has eight courses with #2, 4 and 8 being especially good. i would also look into Pine Needles which is the site of the Ladies US Open in a couple of years and a wonderful old Donald Ross course. They also own Mid-Pines, another Ross track that is one of my favorites.

Many of the local motels ( Hampton Inn, etc. ) will put together packages including some very nice courses in the area, often at some pretty nice savings.

Spring and Fall are best. Summer is just too hot, although that is the best time for discounts. I have gone there 2-3 times for New Year's and weather was pretty decent.

Virginia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

First, a disclaimer, I own a condo at the Talamore Golf Resort, so that's where most of my knowledge comes from. I can highly recommend staying at Talamore, but all the condos are set up with 2 double beds in each bedroom. You'll pay a little more for each guy to have his own room, but thats your choice. The folks at Talamore can book golf for you at almost all the local courses, with a notable exception being Pinehurst #2. As Jim mentions, a lot of the hotels will also book golf packages.

If you want to play #2, I'd recommend you stay at the Pinehurst. Resort. As Jim mentions, Pinehurst runs 3 hotels: the Carolinian, which is the largest of the group, the Holly, their original hotel in the Village, and the Manor Inn, which seems to be a more budget-friendly choice. I stayed at the Holly Inn quite a few years ago, and its lovely. The Pinecrest is also right in the village, was once owned by Donald Ross, and its a great place to stop for a drink, even if you don't stay there.

Jim also mentions two of my favorite places, Pine Needles and Mid Pines. both offer full-service resort accommodations, and two excellent golf courses. MidPines has the best veranda to watch golf from, a great look down at their 18th green. If it interests you, both also will let you walk, instead of insisting you ride a cart. The only drawback to staying at either one is that you need to drive to get to either Southern Pines or Pinehurst if you want to eat someplace other than the in-house restaurant.

Spring and fall are indeed the best times to go to Pinehurst, also the most crowded, and the most expensive times. We usually go in February or March, and again at Thanksgiving. the weather is sometimes a little brisk, but we don't pay a lot to stay, so we haven't lost much if we decide not to play golf.

If you decide to visit Pinehurst, please post again. I can give a little advice about bars and restaurants as well, we've definitely developed a few favorites.

Morristown, New...
3. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

Thanks for the replies... Yes the Men's and Women's open are back to back in 2014. We'll probably go after that. Looking towards the fall. Its for a 50th birthday and i'm planning on treating the other guys. Yes i'm going all out.

Didn't want to fly anywhere so there's a few places within driving distance that i'm looking at. Myrtle is out cause we go there every year anyway. I guess i need to decide If we want to play #2. It depending on who goes, we might have more fun playing the other courses. I hear the EVEN numbers are the better ones, but maybe that's just rumor.

If we want # 2 we stay at Pinehurst , if not we have more options.

I've started the spreadsheet!

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 9
4. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

Talamore is a great golf course. i should have mentioned it. My favorite at Pinehurst is #8, a Fazio course and almost as much as #2.

Virginia
5. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

I'm with Jim, #4 is great, and visually striking. #8 is also outstanding. #6 is a step lower, but still good. I'm also with Jim, Talamore is a really good course, and is associated with MidSouth, an Arnold Palmer design that's excellent. I've known lots of people who have been to the Pinehurst area, and never played a Pinehurst Resort course, there are literally dozens of excellent choices.

Once you get a better handle on some of your preferences, post again on here, I know lots of people will be glad to help. You might also check the Golf Vacations forum, I know there have been questions and answers about Pinehurst there too.

Virginia
reviews: 17
6. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

Our 4some has stayed at the Pinecrest Inn for the past 20 years. Not the fanciest, but clean rooms, 2 meals per day and hands down the best bar in the area. They can get you on any course if you plan ahead. Pinehurst #2 is $415 in 2013. If you do not stay there you try to get a tee time 3 days in advance. We usually play Mid Pines, National and one or both courses at Pinewild, Midsouth or Talamore. Most of these are priced >$100 per round. There are cheaper and more expensive, but these are usually well conditioned when we play in the Spring.

Morristown, New...
7. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

Just reading some review of recent rounds and they are like nite and day. One claims #2 is OVERRATED , the other A MUST PLAY , both within a month. I do have several months before any serious planning is done. I'll be keeping tuned to see what happens.

Virginia
8. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

Opinions are always subjective. Can I ask where you read the reviews? I'd be interested to read them myself. I think #2 is fascinating, but the real challenge is around the greens. I haven't had a chance to play since it was renovated recently, maybe I'd change my mind, but I loved it.

Virginia
9. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

OK, I'm a dope, I just went and read the reviews in Tripadvisor. Of the 10 on the first page, 8 gave the course 5 stars, one complained about the bunkers, and one absolutely hated it. Usually when I read reviews, I do it like the Olympic diving judging....I throw out the high and the low, and kind of average the rest. I know for certain that the renovations to #2, taking out the normally benign rough and putting in waste sand with love grass, would punish errant shots rather severely. If you have problems hitting it moderately straight, this may not be the best choice, especially with the very steep price. On the other hand, there's a ton of golf to be had around Pinehurst.

Clayton, North...
reviews: 4
10. Re: Prelim work on short golf trip

Hey Morristown...Really glad to hear you are looking at a golf trip to Pinehurst. It needs to be done at least once in your lifetime and you will enjoy the Village.

I have been living and playing golf in the area for almost 30 years....Just trying to understand why anyone would look at reviews for Pinehurst No. 2.

The course is sacred ground...play it...it will be in great condition, and no, you will not shoot your home club handicap...but who cares. Walk the fairways, get a caddie, breath in the smell of Pine and freshly mowed grass, and try to get pine tar off your golf ball, and best of all remember who has walked there before you.

Take a walk through the Clubhouse and the Carolina Hotel...look at the pictures on the wall. North / South Championships since early 1900's, Amateure Championships to many to name, not to mention the Open Championships both past and future. So I guess someone thinks it's a good walk.

Please, please do not ever question if #2 is overrated or worth the price. Walk it with three of you buddies talking smack and go have a beer or five on the viranda when your done. Who cares what the price was or what you scored.

If worried about costs or condition keep going to Myrtle, where on any given day you may find a good course for a great price or a dried up dog track.

Reply to: Prelim work on short golf trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted