We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach closures

Which Ocracoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bear creek pa
reviews: 18
Beach closures

Any locals down there have any tips for us folk coming down next week,

Aside from the shutdown being resolved, is there anyway to actually use the beach?

Is shore fishing out of the question?

Thanks

Mike

8 replies to this topic
Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 22
1. Re: Beach closures

Hope the government opens back up . Right now there is no legal way to get on the beach yes Shore fishing right now is Out of the Question.

There is going to be a big Protest in Buxton at noon so if your in the area about that time expect delays

Your best bet right now is renting a boat or taking a charter.

reviews: 53
2. Re: Beach closures

Nags Head allows beach driving starting October 1, with a $25 town permit. There are some access points off Old Oregon Inlet Road. its not hatteras or Ocracoke, but you can get on the beach. check out island free press.org for stories of how people are getting to the beach despite the shut down and closure. The few park rangers still working are not hanging around the beach writing tickets apparently.

Outer Banks
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
reviews: 45
3. Re: Beach closures

s

Edited: 9:48 am, October 04, 2013
Outer Banks
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
reviews: 45
4. Re: Beach closures

Corolla to South Nags Head is wide open.

reviews: 53
5. Re: Beach closures

For more info you can check Facebook page of REAL Watersports in Waves, NC part of the trivillage area of Rodanthe, Waves, and Salvo. They have info on beach access for surfing, sound access for kite boarding, all up and down OBX. ALL OF THE BEACH is accessible in the villages and from Nags Head north. They are really friendly people, call them, number is on their web page. REAL points out this closure has happened before in 1995 and 2011, and it is only temporary.

Also, Graveyard of the Atlantic museum in Hatteras village is state and is open.

Go and you will have fun! View this as a time to explore. Talk to locals and check out state and locally owned attractions

bear creek pa
6. Re: Beach closures

Thanks for the replies.

We arrive in Ocracoke on Sunday.

Sure hope they look the other way for those trying to see the beach.

I know it's not their fault but to drive for 10 hours and not being able to put our feet in the sand or water would be a huge disappointment.

Never mind the fact that my uncle has been looking forward to shore fishing since winter.

I'll keep you all posted.

bear creek pa
7. Re: Beach closures

Thanks for the replies.

We arrive in Ocracoke on Sunday.

Sure hope they look the other way for those trying to see the beach.

I know it's not their fault but to drive for 10 hours and not being able to put our feet in the sand or water would be a huge disappointment.

Never mind the fact that my uncle has been looking forward to shore fishing since winter.

I'll keep you all posted.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 22
8. Re: Beach closures

Here is a link you can look at , Hope your visit is doing well .

http://www.ocracokecurrent.com/73592

Reply to: Beach closures
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted