We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat to Portsmouth Island

Which Ocracoke hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia Beach...
reviews: 22
Boat to Portsmouth Island

How often does the boat go to Portsmouth Island a day during Oct - Mar? Can I just go to the beach and not take the walking tour? How long will I be on the Island? I am mainly interested in looking for shells. Any beaches that are good on Ocracoke to look for shells? Any information would be appreciated.

Maryland
reviews: 37
1. Re: Boat to Portsmouth Island

You need to talk to Rudy Austin. http://www.portsmouthnc.com/theaustins.htm

We've taken the boat over twice, once for walking the village, once for the beach only. He is very accommodating.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 23
2. Re: Boat to Portsmouth Island

Lots of shell here just about any where you go.

The trip to Portsmouth will run when ever you book it they are not on a regular schedule

I was at South Point today it is just about over washed at hi tide but plenty of shells however you need 4 wheel drive to get there

Virginia Beach...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Boat to Portsmouth Island

Thank you both for your responses! I don't have a 4 wheel drive, is there another beach to find shells on Ocracoke? We are going just for the day next week and then in 3 weeks we are going to stay for 1 or 2 nites. We are trying to make sure we go to Portsmouth Island for low tide. Thank you for any information you might share with us.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 23
4. Re: Boat to Portsmouth Island

There are several walk over with parking lots pick one and of course shoot for low tide too.

Hagerstown, Maryland
reviews: 10
5. Re: Boat to Portsmouth Island

Southpoint beach is full of shells. You can fnd nice shells at low tide most anywhere on Ocracoke it just takes some looking. For the ultimate shelling experience - take the Portsmouth ATV excursion and do shelling only. You will find all the nice shells to your hearts content!!!

6. Re: Boat to Portsmouth Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 29, 2014