We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Bern,NC

Which New Bern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perryville, Missouri
New Bern,NC

We are going to visit New Bern in July. How many days should we allow and what are some must see's?

3 replies to this topic
New Bern, North...
reviews: 29
1. Re: New Bern,NC

Sorry I am responding so late, I have been so busy so I haven't been checking message boards very regularly.

As far as New Bern it is a very small city/large town. So it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish during your stay. If you are looking to do a lot of day trips to surrounding towns while staying in New Bern, you could stay a week. If you are looking to just explore New Bern, then a couple of days will give you the highlights. As far as things to see in New Bern, my out of town guest typically enjoy a visit to the downtown area for shopping and lunch/dinner. The downtown area has antique shops, botiques, and unique shops. There is also a trolley tour you can take of the downtown area.

Guest have alos enjoyed going through the replica of Tryon Palace, which was the first permanent capital of NC. Two years ago a NC History Museum was built near the palace to give visitors a look into the past. You can get tickets for $20/person for the palace, museum, palace's gardens, and historic homes. http://www.tryonpalace.org/

We (locals) enjoy going to one of the areas many parks to enjoy the river, and the outdoors.

There is also a walking ghost tour that you could take in the evening, however I don't know much about it, as I have never been on it.

Here is awebsite you mind find helpful on New Bern: http://www.visitnewbern.com/

Hope this helps! Just remember when coming to the southeastern part of the US in July it could be very hot and humid. We have had days hit 100 with a relative humidity close to 100%, during that time of year.

Kill Devil Hills...
reviews: 12
2. Re: New Bern,NC

We just took a day trip to New Bern during spring break with two teenage boys. They had fun walking the city with us, looking at the historical buildings, visiting the birthplace of Pepsi, and grabbing lunch at Captain Ratty's. Beyond that, not too much to keep kids interested, but an absolutely beautiful town.

north carolina
reviews: 8
3. Re: New Bern,NC

You can rent all sorts of watercraft - from paddleboards (with lessons if you need them) to kayaks to jet skis to boats. New Bern is at the confluence of the Trent and the Neuse Rivers, if you visit in July, you should find a way to enjoy the rivers! Check the website for Tryon Palace also - if you get to choose when you come, you should try to coordinate with one of the outdoor concerts. They are held on the rear lawn of the Palace - bring a picnic and a blanket and enjoy the lovely setting with live music. Saturday mornings there is a farmers market downtown.

Reply to: New Bern,NC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Bern