We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much to bring?

Which Nags Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
how much to bring?

Hi - We are heading to Nags Head for a week long vacation. A friend who has been to a different part of the Outer Banks said we should stop and do all our grocery shopping before we get to the Outer Banks...is this true or are there grocery stores ?

North Carolina
1. Re: how much to bring?

The only reason to buy groceries beforehand is if you are staying in Carova, which is a good distance north, and is only accessable by 4 wheel drive. All other parts of the OBX will have either Food Lion, or Harris Teeter stores, both of which are full grocery stores, and major chains. Also, there are seafood markets, and a great produce stand in Kill Devil Hills at Seagate Shopping Center. No need to bring groceries.

Amissville, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Ocracoke
reviews: 23
2. Re: how much to bring?

The reason you were told this is the Grocery store tend to be crowded on Saturdays and Sunday as this is the day every one will check in, you will have no problem getting grocery's but expect long lines on the week ends.Or wait until Monday to shop.

New Freedom...
reviews: 3
3. Re: how much to bring?

I agree with the previous poster. The grocery stores are PACKED on the weekends (especially Saturday!). If going during the weekends on Peak season, plan on spending about 2 hours there! Maybe bring stuff for the first few nights and go during the week if this is a concern. Other than that, prices are about comparable to most other places (at least in VA, except alcohol which I think is more expensive at OBX)....enjoy your vacation..I'm jealous :)

North Carolina
4. Re: how much to bring?

I will agree with the fact the stores are crowded on weekends, and it might not be a bad idea to bring the first night/morning worth of food, and go to the store early the next day. I read the post as a question of whether or not general groceries were easily available-never thought about the issue of the weekend crowds, but a good point.

5. Re: how much to bring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, September 27, 2009