We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

louisville ky
reviews: 62
Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

Tell me everything Kure!!

We are a family of 4. Kids are 12 and 10. We usually vaca in North Myrtle. Looking for something different this year. We like to eat out, have an ice cream cone, play mini golf, walk on the beach at nite and do a little shopping. A few indoor activities are good incase of rain. My kids love to swim and boogie board.

Now--what's Kure beach like?

--Are there lifeguards on Kure? Although we keep a watchful eye, it gives me a little more security knowing there's backup if needed!

--How is the surf? I know this is alway changing, but in general is it good for boogie boarding? Undertow??

--Mini golf, ice cream nearby? A chic- fil-a in Wilmington?A movie theater?

--Has anyone stayed at Ocean Dunes? I keep reading really good reviews about it. Is is clean?

--What's there to do in Carolina Beach?

If you can give me any info that would be great! The unknown is scary and it is easy to go where you know. But we want to try other places on the Carolina Coast!! We have been to Isle of Palm (Wild Dunes) Outer Banks (Corolla) and Hilton Head.

Thanks Beach People!!

15 replies to this topic
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
reviews: 37
1. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

We have stayed in Ocean Dunes. In this (VERY nice and comfortable) condo....http://www.bullardrealtyonline.com/2101od It would be perfect for you and your kids. Right across the (not busy, 2 lane) street from the pool and fitness center. And around the corner from the NC Aquarium and Ft. Fisher Ferry. (both a must-do) Pops Ice Cream and Squigglys Ice Cream are both very popular and very good places. All kinds of chain resturants and other places to go to in Wilminton. (USS NC Battleship for one) Kure Beach and Carolina Beach are very laid back, not big at all, family friendly, ....a great place to be on vacation. Have fun!!

Green Bay...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

My husband and I took or daughter and our two grandchildren to Kure beach Labor day week 2012. This was the first time we were there. We all had a fabulous time. We stayed at the Ocean Dunes, We got an ocean front condo, the view was beautiful. The condo was very clean, stocked with everything you could ask for. Beach was great to sit and play in the sand with the grandchildren. We walked the beach and came across an abandoned turtle nest, with a few broken eggs left. Our daughter talk my husband and I how to boogie board. That was something I never thought I would try. We also sat on our deck and watched the dolphin and a whale jump up from the water. One night we went into town had dinner and found an ice cream shop.

We are looking to go back again in September we were so pleased with the Ocean dunes, we would like to stay with them again.

Gallipolis, Ohio
reviews: 3
3. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

Because it is paradise. It will become part of your thoughts and you will love the family atmosphere and everything there is about it. imo. I have loved it since 1960....and the beat goes on.. :-) Wish I were there right now. Be sure and eat ice cream on the pier and for heaven sakes enjoy the pelicans on the pier. :-)

Monroe, North...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

I have been going to Kure Beach for over 40 years. I have been to Myrtle and the Outer Banks and most beaches in between. I must admit my main reason for going is the fishing. However we first started when the kids were 10 and 12 yrs old. The main reason we continued is because it was a safe place to kinda let the kids go. That has not changed. There is a game room and pier house with games where the kids can go and it did not bother me to give them a certain time to be back in the room (if you stay withing walking distance). We always preferred the small locally owned motels. Most all have swimming pools but not all have lifeguards. Lifeguards are on the beach. It is still a laid back atmosphere. Not a lot of eating places, local restaurants and fast food. That includes Carolina Beach. There are rides but most of the shopping will need to be done in Wilmington. I go to Kure at least every 6 weeks now that I have retired, it feels more like home than home does. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, I would definitely recommend Kure. Right down the road at Fort Fisher is the historic battlegrounds you can tour plus the aquarium. You can find something to do and if you like donuts, be sure to go to Britts donuts on the Carolina Boardwalk for the best you will ever taste. Of course ice cream is everywhere including the pier house at Kure. Hope this helps you to make your decision.

Goldsboro, North...
5. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

Because it's almost spiritual how it will just take hold of you. Been going for 16 years (just got back yesterday from a 4 day trip) and it's where my heart lives. Friendly people, safe for kids atmosphere, small town feel, pristine beaches, not overly "touristy" ... just peaceful and good for the soul.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 15
6. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

Hi......

I am glad you are thinking Kure. My Fav NC beach. Back seven years ago I googled a beach with a pier for a weekend with my husband and sick mother in law. It was October & we just wanted a weekend away. We found a affordable a cute hotel( South Wind) beside the pier, had a pool. Rocking chairs,walking distance to pier , beach, store, ice cream, diner and a arcade.

beautiful colored housed lined the one street they call it pleasure island for a reason. ( Carolina Beach, Kure & Fort Fisher). Kure is where u stay to fish, swim & watch the ocean & drive a few min south to the NC Aquarium and war battleground & ferry .... Five min north you have the Carolina beach Lake, boardwalk with a summer carnival with rides. Live music . so Chill at Kure, Party in Carolina ... only 30 min from the big city of Wilmington . The Inlet offers midnight cruises, fishing & more. Nothing like Myrtle still a small town feel. ( I could hope for a few more pet friendly motels in Kure, but pets are welcome at the private Beach house rentals. Check it out. I recommend the south Wind, Sand Dunes, Seven Seas or rent a private home. Can't go wrong. Hope my jumbled info at least you can check it out... Oh BtW they even filmed a few movies @ Kure. I love it !! I do like Emerald Isle as well... but Kure is my Fav and I wish I lived there!!! Great 4 all ages, romantic, retired, fisher, bike rider ... go & fall in love!!!

New York City
reviews: 28
7. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

We just returned from a week on Kure Beach at a private house. We arrived on a Sunday and couldn't believe our good luck that there was hardly anyone on the beach at all. By Friday that had all changed and more people came. Just to give some info on the beach itself. It is a fairly wide beach. I had heard about it being narrow but it wasn't at all. The water was very warm (late August), and completely swimmable. There were no jellyfish as I had heard about some beaches. The water was okay clarity. Some days pretty muddy, other days pretty clear. It all depended on the waves. Their was variable surf with some days having nice 4 foot waves and other times hardly any surf at all. The worst problem with this beach is the fisherman. They come down to the beach and cast their rods right in the middle of people swimming. Then they whistle at you to get out of the way of their lines. I have never seen anything so inconsiderate and rude. They essentially shut down a good 100 feet wide area of the beach each with their lines because everyone is afraid of getting hooked. I have seen plenty of fisherman on the beach before , but I have never seen anyone come and cast in the middle of crowds, especially around children. This is something I have only seen in North Carolina. On the Saturday that we were there, there was at least one fisherman per every two hundred feet of beach making swimming completely hazardous. We gave up and left.

Raleigh, North...
reviews: 15
8. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

Hi, wow... Surprising to me. I have lived & swam at NC beaches my whole life & never had a fisherman at Kure or any NC beach ( Emerald Isle, Carolina, Atlantic or Myrtle) cast near swimmers & children.I see Surf fishers in the morning or on an open stretch of beach. I am sure bet jerks like that exist. I have always swam beside fishing pier With hooks around with no incidents as well ... Never been hooked from pier or another fisher in childhood or as an adult. Sorry about that experience. Could it have been a holiday weekend with busy beach for swimmers & fisherman limited by space. Kure & Carolina beach have made the list of some of the best beaches in NC and even the easy coast. As you stated the water color of the Mid Atlantic all depends on the waves ( NC waters can be many shades Green, Teal, blue, & middy deepening on weather. We are the mid Atlantic so the color of the water is not see through like south Florida ... But really Virginia to SC has beautiful beaches. Sorry you had a bad swimming experience.

New York City
reviews: 28
9. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

You may be right, it was labor day weekend that it was really bad, but they were there all week as well and you had to watch out for them. Don't get me wrong though, I would go back in a second. It is a very nice beach.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
reviews: 37
10. Re: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?

Glad you enjoyed that area! It is one of our favorites places to go. Sorry about the fishermen. I have seen them in the mornings and evenings when swimmers are few. Still good to hear that you would return!

Reply to: Kure Beach--questions and why should I pick Kure beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted